WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! Glad to have finally joined this forum! Been reading and learning for a little while now since my watch fascination has started to take shape. Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but I've got a few (probably rather silly) questions about my newly acquired Orient Ray..

Having had my Ray for over a week now I've gotten accustomed to feeling the counterweight within the watch swinging around frequently as I walk or move my arms at all. Getting home from work today (I wear it full time with work being the only exception), I put it on and have noticed that I'm not feeling anything move within the watch at all while I'm wearing it. Taking it off and giving it a side-to-side shake, I can feel the counterweight move (thankfully) but also noticed there's more of a ratcheting noise as I lightly shake the watch as well that I've never noticed before. I believe this is either the counterweight or at least something closely related to it making this noise. Anyways, my questions are: Is this normal for an automatic watch when it breaks in to experience the symptoms described above? Also, as it was purchased online, have I bought a fake? It was bought over Amazon from Discount Watch Store online..

Again, I apologize if this is in the wrong place and for the lack of any serious knowledge on such things. It's my first semi-serious watch! Thanks guys.

Edit: Re-posted in Orient part of forum.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hello et welcome here on WUS!
I wouldn't bother too much (honestly I don't bother at all about the noises or "move feelings" in my watches).
If the watch stops working overnight (reduced apparent power reserve), or keeps very bad time all of the sudden, they and only then should you start bothering.
So I'd say, for now, enjoy your watch and wear it in good health!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I concur with the above. If it starts keeping poor time, or stops, then you have an issue. Also, I doubt if there are any Orient Ray fakes around, as the price for a real one is probably lower than what you would pay for a fake. :)

·
Premium Member
73,559 Posts
As the other posters have said, I wouldn't worry about it. There's a chance that you've just got used to the movement and what what you're seeing is just you not noticing it as much. Unless the watch begins to stop or the timekeeping goes to pot I suspect you'll be O.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts