WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the best way to charge up the luminesence of your watch? What do you guys do? TIA!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Exposure to actinic light is best, although usually impractical.

Actinic light is high in UV component, and sunlight is a good source. Not so helpful if you want to go to bed at night and that's why you need the lume fully charged, since the sun has probably gone down hours ago.

Alternatives are fluorescent light, which doesn't have a huge UV component but it's better than most incandescent sources (bulbs with a filament). However I believe that halogen lamps are pretty good.

It's all about getting energy into that phosphor, the lume pigment. The more intense the light is, the better, so remember the inverse square law (light intensity decreases by the square of the distance from the source).

For photography, charge the lume with a blacklight, as suggested above. One of the small handheld units will do the job okay, even the little keyring units do an allright job. If it's a big UV lamp, pay close attention to the safety dirrections -- you do not want to get that UV light in your eyes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
When i'm done with my work shift at 10pm and i want to charge up my Orange Monster for the drive home, i just stick it under a flourescent light for like 5 minutes, and it glows like plutonium. :-!

Direct sunlight is best, tho.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I use a halogen light, and of all the lights I've tried, it is second only to the sun. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts