WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the forum and in a steep learning curve. I was wondering, if I can find a movement and the other appropriate parts, and assuming I have the basics of watch repair down, (for example Level 1 and 2 from TZ online school) could I just build my own Rolex from different parts?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very true

Many have done it buying piece by piece over time to average out the cost, but in the long run it will cost more!!!

After all cases can go for $2000+ just for a case

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I had no idea. Just keep saving then I guess ;-)

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Well, I don't know about building a Rolex. the problem is that any Rolex movement worth buying will set you back four figures or more, while any authentic dial, hands, crown and so on will set you back three figures a shot. However, the smaller Oyster cases turn up reliably on ebay for around $200 and they are lovely. However, the whole really is less than the sum of its parts.

However, if you want an affordable route to a watch to wear rather than sell, you could build something like this:

That's a 1971 6894 (cyclops removed) Rolex case, with a modern Explorer style '369' dial from the highly regarded MKII, 70's Omega hands and a '69 Omega 601 handwind movement:

Rather than the literally ten times more expensive 1215:

It might be easy to dismiss it as just another a franken. In fact, I guess that Franken sums it up. However, it is a zero compromises franken using the best Rolex and non Rolex parts available. I don't think there is an easy answer to whether the Cal.1215 is a better movement than the Cal.601. However, there isn't much in it whichever way your intuition goes.

The second, minute and hour hand are original Omega parts: hour and minute from the Omega Dynamic while the second hand is from the sixties Omega 300.

All in all, it's a harmonious, effective watch which combines the indestructibility and water resistance of the Oyster case with the (currently) stable +2 accuracy of Omega's finest ever handwind movement. The entire cost came in at substantially less than $500 including reconditioning the movement and case. It's a striking watch with utterly modern capabilities from a classic combination that never happened.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's very cool, I like it. Did you build it yourself?

·
Registered
10,693 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool stuff!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts