WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry, this has probably been asked many a time, but....

I'm about to purchase a new Rolex, and like the Black faced GMT 2 (all black bezel), Submariner (with date) and Explorer II. I like the seperate timezone hand, but I also like the chunkier crown on the Sub...so which would be the better buy (I'd really hate to buy it then have people say, 'oh you should have got a...')?

Also, are they about to be modified / replaced (just bought my partner a Lady Date, which has apparently been discontinued, we had to travel for miles to get the one she wanted...typical!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is a tall order of a question Andy. :think:

Since you are on the fence, I'd highly recommend the Sub date. It is a watch that you will always appreciate and if you find down the road it is not for you, it would be the easiest to sell. Subs are a top seller new and used.

If you really like the multi timezone functionality of the GMT, the all black bezel would be a nice compromise.

Good luck. :-!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a tall order of a question Andy. :think:

Since you are on the fence, I'd highly recommend the Sub date. It is a watch that you will always appreciate and if you find down the road it is not for you, it would be the easiest to sell. Subs are a top seller new and used.

If you really like the multi timezone functionality of the GMT, the all black bezel would be a nice compromise.

Good luck. :-!
Thanks Clifton for your help...hmmm

Did I read correctly that GMT's / Rolex sport watches are about to be updated? Do we know what and when?

/A

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is a lot of speculation after the intro of the Kermit Sub and the 50th GMTII that all the sport models will go with Maxi-dials, solid center link bracelets and updated clasps. (see the new DJ). But, no one knows for sure, and all we can do at this point is wait until Basel to see for sure, then it will be another waiting game for them to arrive at an AD. SO, it will potentially be another ~12 months. I agree with Clifton, the 16610 is timeless, it was my 1st Rolex and I loved it in every way. I sold it a few months ago and I kick myself daily. If you are ready to pull the trigger, do it, wear it, keep it, and always remember the day you got it. I would not wait on the speculation that a newer model is coming out, especially after the recent price increase.

Good luck...

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah i agree.....when new models are launched, the market demand could drive up the prices.......

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Rolex prices NEVER go down pal.:-(

The 'chunky' crown as you refer to it, is a masterpiece of waterproofing, probably the best there is today.

If you are a sea or swimming pool aficionado, then choose the Submariner date or no date series. Both have the 'Triplock' crown which the GMT Master doesn't. The GMT Master is OK in water up to a point, but not 'bank vault' safe like the triplock crown series.

OOPS I almost forgot the Sea Dweller. That has a triplock crown as well and will survive in water well past your limitations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts