WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

After many google searches, I kept noticing this board coming up with answers to my questions. So, I decided to join the board and see if I can contribute a bit to the discussion.

Now I'm far from a collector, but it seems everytime one of my relatives visits Dubai they bring me back a watch, usually in the 300-500 dollar range. Tissot, Rado, Raymond Weil. While I enjoy the variety that these watches bring me, I am 33 years old and I have never bought a watch for myself.

This past week I started looking at a few watches. I did the research on movements, manufacturers, etc and then I went to see how each of the ones that I liked looked on my wrist. Here are my impressions:

1) Omega Seamaster (Automatic of course).
I tried the second hand market but was disappointed since the watches from 4-5 years ago are quite a bit smaller than I would need and I couldn't see myself paying nearly 2K for a second hand Omega that I wasn't totally happy with. I tried the new ones and there aren't too many deals to be had, and I couldn't seem to get anyone to get under 3000 (Canadian Dollars) for a new Seamaster. Of course the problem is only compounded by the fact that in spite of being a 'classic', I just don't like how it looks on my wrist.

2) Tag Heuer Aquaracer (500m) Non-Chrono
I know there are some Tag detractors here, but I'm only spending about 2000-2500 CDN Dollars here, I have to compare what's on the market in that price range. So, I know the Calibre 5 is just a slightly modified sourced movement, ETA or some other, I can't remember, but the main point here is that the watch just looks great. It's very sporty (which suits me), I love the bezel and the while the style of the watch is a bit trendy and might age, I see myself wearing it for 10 years easily. It's not a rolex and it doesn't pretend to be.

So far, the Tag looks the best, but the main concern here is getting a good deal. The list price on the Tag is $2800 CDN. We have a 13.5% Sales Tax (like VAT) and the first price the dealer gave me was 2500 taxes included. Anyone else have any experience in this? If I could get this watch for $2000 dollars, CDN, taxes included I would buy it.

Any other watches to consider in this price range? Longines? Fortis? Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Take a look at the Fortis Flieger series - you won't be disappointed.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I think between the 2-3k price range Breitling superocean 42, Ball Engineer Master II Diver, UTS and Sinn are worth looking at. There are dealers for Breitling, Tag and Omega in Montreal so you should be able to try them on before you decide. You may have to do a little haggling with the dealer to bring the tax included price down a little more.

·
Registered
561 Posts
$2600 gets you into Seiko MM300 territory - a watch that some say is comparable to the Sub/PO (I agree). And I second sea0bass's Sinn recommendation if you hate the Japanese but want to stay Axis.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
You have a ton of watches in that price range. I would take your time and check out more of your options until you get something you're completely sold on. Or wait and save up the last $500 if you're really set on the Tag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts