WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

So I have officially turned to a Forum for help! My Fiance is a huge forum guy and this is honestly my 1st forum ever joining & I am hoping you can help me. I am planning on buying my Fiance a Watch as a gift from me to him on our Wedding Day. Only problem is I don't know what to buy! I want something along the lines of Cartier, Tag, Omega etc. but I just don't know what is "Good" and what is not worth the $$$$. He is a very trendy guy and does not have to dress up at work. We are both in our late 20's ... so what brand/style would you guys recommend? :)

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
It depends a lot on his taste in watches ... whether he likes dress or sports watches, chronographs or simple dials, large or discreet watches, mechanical watches or quartz, and if he is partial to certain brands. If you are able to define these criteria well, we can help narrow down the choices.* Of course, also establish a budget for it!

And, congratulations on the huge step you're about to take, the best of luck to you both!

*Vintage or new is another criteria I overlooked, previously. However, it might be prudent to stick to new since selecting a vintage watch needs good knowledge and a keen eye.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ ChronoSapien: Thank you!!! Noted your suggestions

@ v76: Thank you! =) .... He likes both dress and sports watches, chronographs, large, not really partial to any brand in particular but he does have a few Nixon. As for budget I don't want to go over $5K.
Hopefully this additional info. helps. Thanks again guys .... Super LOST Fiance here!

·
Registered
219 Posts
You mean, he's a member of this forum?

Find out his username, do a search, and you'll probably be able to see exactly what he wants!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@drt: No, not this forum ... but he is on a few other forums so that is why I thought hmm a forum might be able to help me out

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
How about this one? It is a new watch from Longines, with a newly developed movement ...
Topper Jewelers » Longines » L2.733.4.72.2

Available from Topper Jewelers who are a forum sponsor, well under $5000.

Another option I would ask you to consider ...
Topper Jewelers » Zenith » 03.2020.670/21.M2020

Also within your budget ...

I'd also recommend buying from an AD when you're paying that much for a nice watch and for a special person/occasion. I think you can get 20% to 30% discount on most brands (some brands less and some more).

@ ChronoSapien: Thank you!!! Noted your suggestions

@ v76: Thank you! =) .... He likes both dress and sports watches, chronographs, large, not really partial to any brand in particular but he does have a few Nixon. As for budget I don't want to go over $5K.
Hopefully this additional info. helps. Thanks again guys .... Super LOST Fiance here!

·
Registered
46 Posts
$5,000? Okay then.....

Panerai 111
Ulysse Nardin Maxi diver
Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk
Omega Speedmaster
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
Eterna Diver

And my #1 Suggestion: Vintage Tudor Submariner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OR..... Go with an alternative: Buy him a Seiko Monster and use the rest of the budget on the honeymoon.(Where are you 2 going?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I am notating all of them.

@ChronoSapien: You definetly have an idea of his style. I think he would like almost all of the ones you sent me. Thank you! Hahha I would at least have to get like a Nixon right? lol. Sorry I really don't know watches but definetly can tell you about purses and shoes =). As for the HM we are going to Hawaii!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Good suggestions here. If he has a few Nixons and is relatively young, he probably likes watches of decent size. Think 42mm - 45mm. You also mentioned chronographs. I think that Panerai is a good suggestion. Very trendy. Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph would be a great choice. It comes in a 45mm size.

He may also appreciate a Tag Heuer Carrera or Omega Speedmaster Professional, although the they are both a tad smaller at 42mm. Both the Omega Speedmaster and Planet Ocean are highly regarded around here.

Of course I would also consider a Sinn 757 UTC. Sinn is a smaller German brand that is legendary around here. Tegimented steel is very scratch resistant. If he is at all into technology and German engineering, you might research Sinn.

A few of the watches mentioned above such as the Vintage Tudor, Longines and Zenith are wonderful, but a mid twenties guy who likes chunky watches might find the size disappointing. Folks here enjoy these threads, so don't be afraid to keep bouncing ideas around here. We look forward to the wrist shots after the wedding.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
if your husband to be is not averse to a square watch, the cartier santos is a great choice. it has the distinction of being the very first wrist watch!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
You said your Fiancé was trendy, but for a wedding I think you'd still want a fairly timeless looking watch. While many of their models might push your budget a bit, it sounds like Panerai might be a suitable option:

PAN186.jpg

They are larger (but not ridiculously so) which is in fashion and they're also popular amongst celebrities, jet set types and many watch collectors as well. Opinions can very a bit on this forum, but most would admit they're well-made. I'm not a fan of big watches but they make a few things I'd like to own someday.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Buying a watch for someone else is very difficult, it would be like someone buying a pair of shoes for you.

For this reason I would consider something that is simple and timeless. A watch that will be just as much in style at your 50th anniversary as it was on your first. With the quality and support that will ensure it lasts that long. Most any Rolex or Omega would fit this bill.

As a personal touch you could look for a classic watch that was made the year he was born.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Here are a few I lean towards kinda all over the place up to 5k in price! Hope something helps!

Dressy:
Cartier Ballon Bleu
Omega Aqua Terra
Frederique Constant Classics Line
Maurice Lacroix (lots of models I like)

Middle of the road:
Baume et Mercier Capeland 10006 or 10007 (Love these models!)
Stowa Marine Original

Sporty:
Cartier Raodster
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean
Omega Speedmaster Pro
Tag Heuer Carrera
Longinges Legends Diver
Tag Heuer Aquaracer
Stowa Seatime

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The ones that ChronoSapien first mentioned are only trendy now in that current tastes fit with those from the 50s. They are all classic watches that should remain treasured pieces for the rest of your lives (so good choices).

As far as his advice on spending less and blowing the rest on something else; you could do a lot better than a Nixon, and still spend less. There are fantastic quality watches at most price levels. Steinhart and Christopher Ward both make watches that are fantastic quality, but cost $400-$1000.

For something higher end, but more modern in styling, I'd second the recommendation to look at Sinn, but also Stowa.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Piece of history, can be dressed up or down, and is versatile... Omega Seamaster Professional if you like a diver (and if he plans to swim in it). This is the James Bond watch, maybe get it in black though, more versatile). If not going to swim with it, I'd say the Omega Speedmaster Professional. But I am super biased, as I have a Speedmaster Pro, and I'd LOVE (or I am hoping) that my fiancee gets me a Seamaster Pro as a wedding gift when we get married next year!

Good luck! Lots of AWESOME suggestions on here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts