WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My name is Salman, and I've decided to get into the world of vintage watches (after reading some magazines, GQ supplements, and your fellow websites).
Also nearly all of my friends are into wasting money on modifying cars with Dubs, Subs, and various other crap whereas I want to start a collection of watches that'll hopefully be tasteful, that I can enjoy everyday, and accrue value.

My preference is for simple chronographs although I'd like to be introduced to a variety of watches.
I am however a cash strapped student, (like everyone these days!), so am beginning my collection from the lower end of the market. So far I have bought:

• Timex 80 (in pink!)
  • Casio Calculator (in white)
  • Tissot PRC200 Chronograph (black dial, ss strap)
  • Henri Sandoz & Fils Manual wind (red dial)

I'm looking to buy a few more and being an industrial design student and fairly "mechanical" I'd like to buy something simple that I can work on or send for repair if needed (the advantage being it should be cheaper!). Would anyway have their thoughts on what brands or watches I should keep a look out for. I would like to spend upto a maximum of £100 on each watch with only £300 left for the remainder of my collection currently.

Brands which I've thought about are:

• Oris
  • Bulova
  • Seiko
  • G-Shock (Please dont throw me out the forum!)
  • Favre Leuba
  • Solar

I realise at the price point these aren't going to be in good condition and it leaves many brands out but do you guy have any thoughts?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I'd certainly be looking at vintage Smiths if I lived in the UK. Maybe Geoff has some ideas as well.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
You could also look into Russians and Chinese. Imho cool and cheap vintage pieces.
Russians: Vostok, Poljot, Raketa, Pobeda..
Chinese: Sea-Gull, Beijing, Shanghai..

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You may want to check Chronomaster regularly. They are based in the UK and always seem to have a stock of vintage/pre-owned pieces which may interest you. I've never personally dealt with them, but I have read very positive comments from some of their customers on these forums. Good luck, from one cash strapped student to another!

·
Registered
358 Posts
some other brands could be Omega, Breitling if you can find a used version (will be without papers/box, etc) but could hold some value after you get it. They don't seem to be dropping anymore

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been looking at Omegas and seen a few basic ones in my price range of £100, but no Brietlings that work. And I'm guessing to restore a non-runner would be expensive as well. Do you know any shops/markets/etc you can visit in London for these brands (but still within the price range)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot, this really helped and the Poljots are very tempting. Would you happen to know any German brands within a £100 budget?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I've seen a few Smiths but the price in auctions has increased dramatically. And who's this Geoff you speak of!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
great to hear someone's new in the hobby who is into vintage watches,

a few more options/brands to throw at you;

- Enicar, Waltham, Zenith, Titus, Buren, Cyma, Eterna, Lemania, Zodiac, West End, Roamer, Wakmann, Longines

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Dubs, Subs, and various other crap
This cracked me up A LOT. I'm actually still laughing while typing. Thank you for that!

that I can enjoy everyday, and accrue value.
Just one quick word of caution: Enjoy the hobby but don't get caught up with watches as an investment. Like most hobbies, you are not likely to actually make money on the endeavor. There are exceptions but then it becomes more of a job than a hobby. Looks like you already have a solid collection going. Post some pics when you can and welcome to WUS!

·
Registered
976 Posts
i think the Sea Gull watches will be something special for a starter.
634679367715123793_9b48.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts