WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I am new to the forum and very new to Russian watches.

After reading several posts in this forum I am still wondering if this watch I own (attached pics) is a legit vostok.

I have seen other similar watches, specially in this post started by JGMorato:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/hepl-identify-vostok-385561.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/attachments/f10/274679d1270843500-hepl-identify-vostok-zjxw5u-jpg

And other similar ones, this one with different movement:
https://www.watchuseek.com/attachments/f10/107223d1211873362-strange-amphibia-dsc00797a-jpg

Any feedback would be very appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
About the watch in the attached pics:
It's a Vostok Komandirskie with "paratrooper" dial, caliber 2414, 17 jewels, late '80s.
One of the most diffused (perhaps the most diffused) Russian watches. A real workhorse, perfect basic start for any Russian watch collection. |>

About the watches in the external links:
The one in the first link is a rare version with different logo (probably made in Ukraine by "Dnepr-Vostok", search in the old threads), but it's the same watch.
The one in the second link is strange, green "paratrooper" dials are not frequently seen in octagonal cases, but the lack of the date window (caliber 2409) may suggest that it is original, although the appearence is quite messed up. Hand looks original too, although one of them seems repainted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot sci and michelle,

I got the watch in a small shop selling other kind of items. They only had 4-5 watches, all of them vostok. I had read before about this brand in this forum and decided to get this one even when I was not sure if it was legit or not, but it was affordable and I really like it.

I am trying to get some more info on this watch, but I must confess that the different dials, bezels, cases and marks are making it a little bit confusing for me. It seems there is plenty of info though, so I guess is just matter of time. Still if any member of the forum can give some more info on the watch, I would really appreciate.

Will drop by that shop again to take a closer look of what they have.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Welcome to the forum Spaz!

An ongoing project I started is the classification of Vostok Amphibia and Komandirskie models, with rotating bezels, which are the most often found ones. As Vostok has a habit of mixing up dials installed in their watches, I thought it's a good idea to nail down the case design and then work from there.

Your example is indeed common: using the very popular Type 341 case and housing what I believe a 2414 or 2414A hand-wind movement with date, green paratrooper dial, and big flat-ended crown. The "no number combs" bezel should also be original, although the one with numbers are a bit more frequently seen.

There is nothing to suggest that it has been messed with, and should be a very enjoyable watch to use. We're certainly looking forward to seeing the other items offered by that shop!

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Your example is indeed common: using the very popular Type 341 case and housing what I believe a 2414 or 2414A hand-wind movement with date, green paratrooper dial, and big flat-ended crown. The "no number combs" bezel should also be original, although the one with numbers are a bit more frequently seen.
Bezel is totally original. The "no number" bezel is substantially diffused in the same way. Both the types of bezels are often combined with a plain caseback (no "sun and bird" engraving, more often seen on "dots" bezel).

Anyway, i can't figure yet (after so many years) why domed and flat-end crowns were mounted, apparently without a common rule. :think:

There is nothing to suggest that it has been messed with
[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the one with octagonal case in the link, not to the one in the attached pics.

I have seen lot of "paratrooper" and "U-boot" dials in octagonal case (type 47x), and usually they were Frankenwatches, because AFAIK the type-47x case hosted always the caliber 2409 (no date - while those dials were almost always equipped with date, usually transplanted from standard Komandirskie).

That octagonal Komandirskie is apparently "messed up" because of the overall conditions and of the apparently unmatching dial, however there is no date window, and that's a typical feature of original 47x Amphibians. As consequence, it must be considered as quite unusual and rare piece (IMHO). |>

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I was referring to the one with octagonal case in the link, not to the one in the attached pics.

I have seen lot of "paratrooper" and "U-boot" dials in octagonal case (type 47x), and usually they were Frankenwatches, because AFAIK the type-47x case hosted always the caliber 2409 (no date - while those dials were almost always equipped with date, usually transplanted from standard Komandirskie).

That octagonal Komandirskie is apparently "messed up" because of the overall conditions and of the apparently unmatching dial, however there is no date window, and that's a typical feature of original 47x Amphibians. As consequence, it must be considered as quite unusual and rare piece (IMHO). |>
Indeed Michele; I have seen a lot of Type 470 Amphibia octagonal cases housing quite improbably (or impossible) parts, or combination of parts, especially dials. That's the reason why I started the case number identification and classification project, as identification by dial design can more than often end up in grief!

This being said, there have been a fair number of dials without date window found in other Komandirskie models, therefore I exercised a bit more caution and not willing to conclude that it's a factory original piece; besides the hands are positively odd! :-d

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
This being said, there have been a fair number of dials without date window found in other Komandirskie models
Generally speaking, Komandirskie-marked dials were equipped with or without date window if matched with 020 cases (i.e. the white U-boot Komandirskie dial, so often found in Amphibia cases). :think:

But watches with type-34x case (Komandirskie) had always date window, at least in my experience.

This is another good reason to use the cases codes, using the model name (Amphibia, Komandirskie, etc) in accordance with the frequency of the case-dial combination.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback,the vostok classification database has been very useful indeed.

The watch is coming with some papers (attached).

Anyway, all your feedback has been very helpful and after reading through several posts and looking in some external sources, my understanding of these watches has improved a lot - still a lot more to improve though -.

So what I know so far:

- Brand: Vostok.
- Model: Komandirskie
- Dial: Paratrooper
- Caliber: 2414A - 17 jewells
- Year: 1990
- Case: 341307
Chrome platted brass

I am attaching the other Vostok models still available at the same shop (All same year). I do not pretend to become a collector of these kind of watches, but I am afraid I will end-up buying one of the amphibia models.

Thanks again and regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Spaz,

I worked in HK in the 80s and for a while, Vostok had an official distributor there, who did not last long. Since then some independent retailers also sourced Vostok watches from somewhere and these could very well be those too.

The two Albatross models in Amphibia Type 470 cases are indeed the most desirable of the four, I have the one on the top left, bought new in Sydney, and is a most satisfying piece. If you are interested, check the cream paint on the dial, as it has a tendency to develop a craquelue all over; neither "as the artist intended" nor terribly objectionable, just something worth bearing in mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all the info Seele,

I got the Albatros down-left in the image.

The shop is located at the beginning of ladder street in Sheung Wan, they are selling mostly souvenirs made out of jade and other stones. If somebody interested in going there, still 3 watches left, but be carefull checking for possible defects (the movement of 1 of them is not working properlly).

PS you are totally right regarding the dial of the other albatros.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The Альбатрос at upper left corner is something I would really like to find for myself.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Spaz and Sci,

Here is mine, although it does not show well what the craquelure looks like, and with original strap which is of surprisingly good quality. The outside leather layer is wrapped inwards, and then a liner applied and stitched.

Spaz, Sheung Wan has become somewhat gentrified and touristy over the last decade or so. There might be other sources in HK, there was a shop selling Soviet memorabilia in Kowloon, off Nathan Road, and also check those military gear shops too. As far as I can remember, only Vostoks were sold there, as "Soviet military watch", which also coloured the perception of the people regarding Soviet/Russian watches in general.

Still, nice catch for the NOS Albatross!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Seele,

Thanks a lot for the pic and the info on HK. It is true, that area in Sheung Wan is pretty touristic. There are some second-hand shops though where you can find a little bit of everything, so it is pretty fun. Besides, the old couple selling the watches were keeping a very decent price (or still what I think is a decent price), even when you can say they know well these kind of watches.

Your Albatros is in much better shape that the one at the shop which besides the craquelure has a a "brownish" spot on the dial (sorry about the low quality pic in my former post, but is the only one I have).

As for the albatross I got, here it is (attached)

Never was my intention to start collecting Russian watches, actually I was looking for Chinese ones when I found these Vostok. Still both models I got are in very good condition and just love them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Mike,

Vostok has GMT models, that would be suitable for displaying the local time in two different time zones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts