WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

i hope you are able to help, I have just joined.

my name is Mike and I am in my early thirties, living in the NW of UK looking for advice about a good watch for me to purchase. I have previously had a number of watches which I have bought and then sold due to purchasing my first house (Omega Seamaster, Tag Carrera etc). Now that I have a ball and chain around my ankle (I.e. A mortgage and all the bills that go with it!). I am looking to buy myself another watch but a relatively small budget of between £250 and £400 GBP. I need a watch which will be equally suitable for smart formal wear and also sport/leisure (sailing,clay shooting etc)

i had a look at the Wenger Commando SRC chronograph 70893 in Orange Wenger Commando SRC | Heinnie Haynes and it's a solid watch and seems very well built. It's just a little too sporty looking for works I dint think it would look right.

i have also seen a Victorinox I like the look of, but want to get your opinion of a) the brand, is it a solid watchmaker with a good reputation, and b) any opinions on the particular model I like the look of. http://www.victorinox.com/ch/produc...lections/Chrono-Classic/Chrono-Classic/241496. I can get this model for £320 GBP, it's normally around £400 GBP.

I am also very much open to recommendations, so please let me know of other models in my price bracket which you feel represent a good option for me.

Your help is very much appreciated.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,183 Posts
Does it has to be quartz and does it has to be a chronograph ? If so the possibilities are almost unlimited, do a google search for Ronda 5030d. A lot of less expensive chronographs (quality almost on par) domuse the 5030.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Have you looked at Christopher Ward?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!

The above sarb is a nice dressy automatic! The 2 watches that you listed are both chrono and quartzies. Are these your requirements for the watch?
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I don't need Chrono features, but I prefer them generally in terms of appearance. I think budget wise I will struggle for auto, I don't have a problem with quartz, I know that some people, especially avid collectors, prefer mechanical/auto.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I think you would be best off considering 2 watches at half you budget each. A dressy chrono and something like a G-Shock for sports for instance. For the dressy chrono I suggest:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I actually really like the victorinox you linked. It has a good mixture of sporty and slightly dressy which is what you're looking for.

I own a victorinox and it's a very well built watch for relatively little money. If you like it I say go for it!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
If you want heritage, then I'd really look at Seiko, Tissot, maybe Mido. Seiko choices are very wide. Orient (especially the Star line) has a good line up as well.

Victorinox is a nice company, and apparently makes decent watches now, but I don't think of them when I think of watches. I think of Swiss Army knives. Nothing wrong with that, but you asked about the Christopher Ward heritage so thought that might be important to you.

Really, though you think your budget is small, there are lots of great choices out there. Take your time and pick something you like.

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts
What about a Hamilton Khaki Chrono? Respected brand, dependable watch, appearance seems to fit what you are looking for, and it is well within budget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike, see if the Tissot V8 does anything for you or the Tissot PRC200. If you decide to go with CW then they are all nice especially the C5 MK11 auto.
Hi, I like the look of the Tissot V8! Will have a look around for some pricing!

thanks for your recommendation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about a Hamilton Khaki Chrono? Respected brand, dependable watch, appearance seems to fit what you are looking for, and it is well within budget.
Hi, I like the Hamilton Khaki, they are at the higher end of budget but look nice. I'll have a look around and see who has some in locally for me to try on.

thanks for your recommendation!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want heritage, then I'd really look at Seiko, Tissot, maybe Mido. Seiko choices are very wide. Orient (especially the Star line) has a good line up as well.

Victorinox is a nice company, and apparently makes decent watches now, but I don't think of them when I think of watches. I think of Swiss Army knives. Nothing wrong with that, but you asked about the Christopher Ward heritage so thought that might be important to you.

Really, though you think your budget is small, there are lots of great choices out there. Take your time and pick something you like.

Thanks for your reply, I like some of the Tissots and many are in budget so I'll investigate further. It's reassuring that my budget isn't too low!

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts
Hi, I like the Hamilton Khaki, they are at the higher end of budget but look nice. I'll have a look around and see who has some in locally for me to try on.

thanks for your recommendation!
Make sure you are looking at the quartz ones. They are available in both quartz and automatic. The quartz versions should call well within a 400 GBP limit, as they fall easily within a $400 USD limit lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts