WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I have inherited a few watches and one of them is an Omega Seamaster Automatic.

This belonged to my father-in-law. I believe he bought this watch sometime in the 70's and wore it daily for many years. It is worn and scratched but it runs great!

What do I have here?
It has A30J hand scribed on the bottom of one of the "ears" the back is very worn and the sea monster and name is barely visible. It as "14KGF Stainless Steel Hinge" and "9-73" stamped on the hinge.

Here are some pictures...

Any information would be helpful!
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Nice watch. It appears to be a gold plated ref 176.007.
This watch houses a great movement, the cal 1040 based on the Lemania 1340. The watch has a few issues. First the bracelet is likely not to be the original. The original bracelet was a ref 1170 with 653 endlinks. Your does not look like a 1170 but more like a 1162 and has no endlinks. In addition, your watch seems to be missing the chronograph cumulative minute hand. This is a center hand if you look below at the picture of my stainless version, you will see an orange hand that looks like an airplane - that hand appears to be missing from your watch. Over all it looks like it will clean up nice :-!

Howdy,

I have inherited a few watches and one of them is an Omega Seamaster Automatic.

This belonged to my father-in-law. I believe he bought this watch sometime in the 70's and wore it daily for many years. It is worn and scratched but it runs great!

What do I have here?
It has A30J hand scribed on the bottom of one of the "ears" the back is very worn and the sea monster and name is barely visible. It as "14KGF Stainless Steel Hinge" and "9-73" stamped on the hinge.

Here are some pictures...

Any information would be helpful!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information Joe!

The chronograph minute hand is there...it's running under the minute hand...I set it that way...I was confused when looking at the thing while driving down the road...A bright mark like yours would be better...This is my first day to wear the watch...

I have no idea if the band has been changed, my wife didn't remember her dad doing anything to this watch over the years.

Thanks again.

Z

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Yep - looking at it closely now I can see the hand |>
Its a nice watch. Enjoy it :-!

Thanks for the information Joe!

The chronograph minute hand is there...it's running under the minute hand...I set it that way...I was confused when looking at the thing while driving down the road...A bright mark like yours would be better...This is my first day to wear the watch...

I have no idea if the band has been changed, my wife didn't remember her dad doing anything to this watch over the years.

Thanks again.

Z

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Beautiful watch. You're a lucky guy to have it!
Snak would snatch it up in a second!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Bracelet looks original to me:

In 1973, this watch was a third more expensive than the regular Speedy.
Same sold by Antiquorum in 2007 for SFr4,600.00

Here is another vintage picture with a bracelet reference:

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
That is one great quality watch you have here, have it serviced and restored as well as the crystal repolished and you are good for two decades of flawless time keeping.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I have one similar 175.005 with the same movement, and I really like it!It's such an awesome watch, you should be proud to inherit one like that:-!
here's mine (pic from the seller)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
That is a great Omega!

As everyone else said, it is a fine watch with a great engine: the Calibre 1040.

Your watch is particularly nice and interesting because it is family heirloom, it has all original parts and bracelet, and the dial has applied metal markers rather than just the plain, painted ones...

Have it serviced.

Do you know a good watchmaker in your city? You need to find one in order to service the watch, because by now, the oil in the movement will have settled or dried, and using it in this condition might cause accelerated deterioration. That watch needs a good clean-up & lube. Plus, the crystal may be polished to look like new, and the case may also be cleaned and improved.

I have one just like yours, only a different color:

I had it serviced by a local watchmaker. This is the Before/After pic (hands, face and day chapter ring were changed):

The full service cost me $225, and the watch is good to go for a long time now!

You're very lucky to have found that one! Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts