WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have recently gained an interest in Omega watches and am now wondering whether a watch purchased some years ago is fake.

it was sold as 9ct gold omega automatic of 1964 date
the case backing has omega watch co within a triangle but made in england underneath it...is this right?..
also

A.L.D
what looks to be a hallmark 9 375 ? r ( i cannot make out what ? is)
161/2-5002

the workings have omega watch company swiss & twenty 24 jewels in letters and number form.omega sign with 562 under it and serial number 21870931.

the front has a what you would expect to see with calandar at 3oclock but the second hand is black and at 12 oclock there is only 1 stripe above the omega sign and lettering which from looking at the web i have only seen 2 and only gold second hand.
The workings look too good to be fake

Advise appreciated and i will try and take some pics if you consider them necessary

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your case is hallmarked 9ct gold, Birmingham 1966. It's nothing unusual for Omega to have their solid gold cases made by jewellers in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham - my home city (after all, if you're building an expensive watch, why not have the case made by arguably the best gold jewellers in the world?)! That's a little later than the serial number alone would suggest (~1964) but that's within the tolerances when you're trying to date a watch by serial number alone.

The case reference numbers are a little strange... 457.110 is of the format I'd expect to see the ref number, but it's a very high number. The other numbers - 161/2-5002 could mean the case back was designed to fit multiple models e.g. 161.5002 and 162.5002.. neither of which match anything in the Omega vintage database.

However, the database is woefully short on just about all of the 9ct gold case references, so that says nothing. I'll leave one of the others with more experience of the 60s models to try and decipher that riddle...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for response...I am also from Birmingham and still live here for my sins! Having taken the back off and examined the watch more closely I am feeling a bit more confident that it is the real thing though am relying on yourselves who have the experience to point out concerns. The face is very clean which concerns me along with the black 2nd hand which i have not seen on other omega of this age though would love to be proved wrong!

·
Registered
470 Posts
The OVD is often missing the national production cases - the cases made in the uk for the uk market, the us for the us market, etc.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is the 'Swiss Made' or 'Swiss' missing from the dial? Can't see from the photos (could be my poor vision though)

There was a thread some time ago raising the issue of whether the 'Swiss' or 'Swiss Made' should be present, with a caution about watches after 1950 missing those words.

Having said that , even if the words were missing, could it just be a re-dial?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm now happy that i own a vintage 9ct gold omega that may or may not have had a re-dial...It keeps perfect time and dates to around my birth date.
Thanks for the responses

1 - 9 of 9 Posts