WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fact that the newer MI:III model MTG-911DMS-2VDR has a countdown timer has been mentioned by some on this board.

However, I noticed when I turned up links to this watch, the countdown timer never was mentioned. I found a link to the the watch in Japanese with a pic of the caseback, and it shows module 2654 which does indeed have a countdown timer.

I find it interesting that none of the sales copy on any websites mentions the countdown timer, especially since many of us see this as a minus on the MTG-910DA and GW-700 series watches which have the time stamp instead.

I guess they rushed the watch to market so fast they couldn't be bothered with trying to highlight the finer points.

cheers

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
hi freediver,

you should not forget, that we (that means the people in this fine forum) are probably the best educated casio nerds on this planet. we pay attention to each and every detail on g-shock's especially when we discuss such a popular model like the MI:3 watch obviously is.

on the other hand: this thing apparently sells extremly succesful, and thats all what dealers care about - a good selling product. so I guess there is no need - or even interest - for an accurater detail description...

regards, holger

·
Registered
233 Posts
The fact that the newer MI:III model MTG-911DMS-2VDR has a countdown timer has been mentioned by some on this board.

However, I noticed when I turned up links to this watch, the countdown timer never was mentioned. I found a link to the the watch in Japanese with a pic of the caseback, and it shows module 2654 which does indeed have a countdown timer.

I find it interesting that none of the sales copy on any websites mentions the countdown timer, especially since many of us see this as a minus on the MTG-910DA and GW-700 series watches which have the time stamp instead.

I guess they rushed the watch to market so fast they couldn't be bothered with trying to highlight the finer points.

cheers
Thanks for pointing this out. I looked at manual and was not surprised to learn that it is a 60-minute countdown timer. Still, better than nothing, I guess.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's a trade-off between countdown timer and waveceptor (atomic time sync) if you get the MTG911DMS-2VDR, as it's not a waveceptor watch. Trades one feature for another. Whereas the MTG910 and GW700 are waveceptor enabled.

|>

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a trade-off between countdown timer and waveceptor (atomic time sync) if you get the MTG911DMS-2VDR, as it's not a waveceptor watch. Trades one feature for another. Whereas the MTG910 and GW700 are waveceptor enabled.

|>

depends how you define trade-off. Some like the time stamp feature on the GW-700 and MTG-910 models. This feature is not on the MI:III 911. Personally, I find the waveceptor feature annoying.

cheers

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I reely would love to see a MTG910/911 with countdown timer (preferable a 24h one) AND 5 band atomic wave ceptor. well, there is no such a modell so we all have to live with that. for me, the CDT is much more important than the wave ceptor, thats why I will get the MTG-911 in the not so far away furture ;-)

@ greg-9

the MTG-911 has only a 60 minutes CDT thats right, but at least it can also be used as a stopwatch (up to 100 hours) and gives you the advantage to see the current time in CDT AND STW mode (although its not the "real" STW mode), which is alot more than many other g-shock models offer.

regards, holger

·
Registered
397 Posts
I reely would love to see a MTG910/911 with countdown timer (preferable a 24h one) AND 5 band atomic wave ceptor. well, there is no such a modell so we all have to live with that.
Doesn't the GW810BXD-1 have both a CDT AND 5 band atomic. Seems like that model has all you want, unless you don't like the look of it. There's also the GW800-1V and GW800D-1V that have CDT and are 5-band atomic.

|>

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Doesn't the GW810BXD-1 have both a CDT AND 5 band atomic. Seems like that model has all you want, unless you don't like the look of it.
hi,

I certainly like the look of my GW-810BXD and yes, it features both - solar AND 5 band atomic. from a straight technical point of view I think it is save to say that this is the best watch I ever had, however...

...the MTG-910/911 is a whole different watch. it is far more clunky (the thickness alone speaks volumes: 16mm vs 13,5 mm), has alot bigger digits (almost as big as on my PRG-80YT Pro-Trek, therefore the biggest digits on any g-shock I am aware of), shows time, day, date and year all at once on the display (not very much g's do that). but the best part is just its awesome look, that is - for me - unrivaled by any other g-shock I am aware of. for me the MTG series is simply the best looking line up casio produced to date (especially the MTG-910, 911, 960). my girlfriend has a MTG-910 (which she wears quite often) and I found myself to keep an eye on this watch alot of times, more than on any other watch I can recall. I would have bought me one too a long time ago, but the lack of a CDT is unacceptable to me. thats why the MTG-911 is the one that interests me.

still a few words on the GW-810BXD: it is a very elegant and dressy watch. but here is the problem - it is almost to elegant and dressy. and it is not very big so i don't consider it a "real" g-shock. it is nice looking and all but it just doesn't give me the impression to have this "tank on the wrist" feeling other g-shock's give me. I wouldn't want to wear this one for hard duty or abusal work although I'm certain it withstands that like any other G. a little hard to explain but I hope you get the point anyway....

regards, holger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts