WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a sucker for brands with long history. The fact is that many newer brands that haven't been around for decades upon decades are really making an impact in the horology world. Some are trendy, run of the mill brands and some have been really innovative. Some give me the impression that they will be forgotten about in 10 years and some will be around in a 100 years from now. Nomos, Maurice Lacroix and Damasko seem to be on the path of longevity with their designs and beautiful relatively speaking affordable in house movements. What newer watch brands do you feel like are just getting their start in the last few years/decades or what brands do you feel like are going to turn out to be duds?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Interesting question especially given that many older names/brands are around in name only and have little or no connection to their original history. Ball comes to mind immediately but there are a plethora of others.

I wonder what that does to your original question?

I second your prediction of Nomos. I might add Sinn, Doxa, brands with uniquely distinctive looks or technology. These become icons.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree on the last two. Indeed I enjoyed my FC while I had it. Classic designs that should stand the test of time as well.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with the comment about Nomos. They're a relative newcomer, but are really starting to gain momentum. There's also long brands that don't have too much recognition, but will move to the spotlight soon. One of them that comes to mind is Ball.

It's the same with any industry, actually. In the car industry, back in the 60s/70s it was Toyota, a few years back it was Hyundai that shifted from "Korean crap, to Korean excellence". It's hard, but quality will always be noticed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Germans will stick around - ALS, GO and Nomos.

Not sure about Ulysee Nardin. I read that they are looking to be bought out.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
I wonder about Laurent Ferrier, Antoine Martin, L.Leroy. I have confidence that new owner manager Meylan/MELB Holding are committed to keeping H.Moser & Cie a going concern as evidenced by recent introduction of new movement and models. I imagine some brands may change owners without the brand going away.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Any company selling watches under roughly $1,000 today, and any small boutique brands above that value, not willing to expand into full manufacture and watch design process, will be gone, sooner or later. There might be a rare exception, like 1 in 100, or 1,000.

Now, more interesting question is, if any of the current watch companies, outside of established "giants" will even exist 100 years from now??? Well, I myself don't even think that watches as something we use daily to tell time will exist... More and more I willing to believe that what we call a wrist watch today will only be found in a museum, just like art... And if they do stay on people's wrists somehow, it'll be more like jewelry rather than time-telling device. Probably, by 2100, we'll have some kind of retinal camera/projector/computer connected to our brain that we'll know time instantly w/o looking at anything;) OK, I'll stop here, been watching too many sci-fi movies lately;) LOL

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I tend to avoid manufacturers without at least 100 years under their belt, Rolex and Lange have gotten a pass on this though, they are OK for young brands.

It is really hard to say the high end brands would probably get bought if they falter by one of the conglomerates. The smaller mid level and micro brands are at the most risk. Nomos and Christopher Ward are examples of each that may live long term the former due to their quality and support and CW because they have a wide variety of watches, great warranty and support.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Newer watch brands. In your opinion, which ones will stay and which ones wil...

Grand Seiko of course (technicality). I like what ML and Damasko are doing but they need to market their stuff much more. Bremont as well...

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think for the "savvy" buyer, it definitely is best to stick to the guys who have earned it by their history. I typically buy the watch for the "uniquenes" or the story it stands for (this can obviously change by way of that particular watch on a guy doing something historic). I, for a stupid reason, was attracted by a newer brand--->Graham. Word's still out on them, but one of my greatest regrets as far as watch purchases go. They are a new brand and with their own particular fashion sense. That being said, if Brand XX came up with some new, innovative movement or complication, that might emit some Pavlovian response. I just like the story of the watch----Not that anybody ever asks, but I know.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,373 Posts
Thoughts on Raymond Weil's longevity?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Well, I own two Maurice Lacroix watches, and one Nomos, so it's easy to see where I stand.

OTOH, I also own two Zeniths. :)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts