WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Cats,
Found something new yesterday, yup for a buck. A cool vintage manual wind Brian?? watch, 17 jewels Incabloc, the watch has a nice decorated swiss movement but with a 10K solid gold case, the case has Hong Kong stamped into it. The watch crystal was wasted so I polished the heck out of it and it came up gleaming shiny, probably made of a hexalite type material. All the lugs were bent on it especially 2 of them on the crown side, took awhile to straighten them without breaking them. Polished the case and regulated it, it's keeping good time so far, I'd say it's about 8secs fast to date, I should have it dialed in by the end of the week. I put a case fitting flex deal on it, although not as brilliant as the case I thought it was appropriate for this design. Without further blabbing, here's a couple pics:

Another pretty cool find..... If any of the resident vinatge experts can tell me about the Brian brand I'd appreciate it.

Now for the downer part of this latest find, there was another Gent going through the bags of watches with me and the guy finds an Omega Constellation!! Aside from my dissapointment that I didn't score it..... I say good for him!
Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Brian I believe was a private label brand used by a Canadian chain in the Maritimes called Murphy Jewellers. I had one I got in 1976 from a store in Halifax. My son-in-law has it now. OK watch, runs well.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ray, much appreciated.
Peace,
Preston

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,350 Posts
Brian I believe was a private label brand used by a Canadian chain in the Maritimes called Murphy Jewellers. I had one I got in 1976 from a store in Halifax. My son-in-law has it now. OK watch, runs well.
Most likely Murphy Jewellers would have ordered these watches OEM from Hong Kong. This particular watch looks like a very good quality late '60s/early '70s Hong Kong watch with a good quality generic Swiss jewelled-lever movement.

...and I love the name ("he's not the messiah...") :-d

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The number on it says 1950/51, I hope that helps Bjohnson. It also says EP under the number. Too bad the lugs are so beat but someone with patience and filing/finishing tools could clean them up nicely.
Peace,
Preston

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,206 Posts
In that case, it is indeed an Adolf Schild AS (ST) 1950/51. The Cal. 1950 is a standard manual movement, the 1951 version has a date feature. I have the same movement in a 1960s Bergana. Nice watch!

Movement details and piccie can be found under http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&0&2uswk&AS_1951. The "pitted" finish is more common - but not exclusive - to french movements, e.g. FE (France Ebauches).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the lessons and I'm glad you like the watch. I'll drop you a pm when I'm ready to pass it along :)
Peace,
Preston

1 - 8 of 8 Posts