WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this morning my SEIKO Diver, £75 with next-day delivery from eBay.
In excellent condition other than one hairline scratch on the crystal, that should polish off.
I have checked for any signs of it being counterfeit, but found none. Can anyone spot something?
It is the Japanese model, and the serial number is 055815

I made a strap over the weekend for it, as I wouldn't want to wear it with a rubber strap when on land.

I love the Diver's style and am thinking of getting a few of the older ones as well!

Some pics:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Looks good to me. That strap is fantastic! I usually don't like leather on divers, but this looks great...and you did it yourself? Wish I was that talented.

Congrats.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
a classic !

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over the past couple of years, I accumulated a lot of “watchheads” that filled up, and stayed in boxes.
As you know, servicing them professionally and buying straps for all of them would cost me a fortune. So after I taught myself how to do minor repairs and cleaning, I thought I should learn how to make some straps for them and get some use out of my collection!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
sweet strap, looks great. I'm fiending for a brown leather strap for my black divers. How much would it take to get you to make another one like it :)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
i like you teatimecrumpet. and your name. i think we'll get along just fine ;-) pls, call me maca

Reactions: teatimecrumpet

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks like pro! Any resources on doing the same? I too have watcheads with no straps. Whats it cost you per strap?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what your first question is..
Are you asking me for advice on how to do one yourself?
If so, I used a lot of YouTube tutorials and a lot of practice! -It is definitely something you can learn how to do by yourself.

In regard to your question about the cost, that is not an easy question to answer...
You see the actual piece of leather used for a strap (10cm x 30cm), is not that expensive, maybe £5..
But the tools you need are probably a £200-£500 investment, depending on the quality of the tools etc. Professionals would probably have thousands invested in their tools..
And finally, the biggest expense would have to be the time involved! The strap you see above, took me probably about 10 hours to complete! Professionals need just over two hours apparently, but that is the amount of time it takes me to hand-stitch it!

In any case, it is a fantastic hobby and well worth it in my opinion!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Congrats! Looks good. Really cool that you made the strap for it too.

The serial number means it was made in either May 2000 or May 2010

1 - 13 of 13 Posts