WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The China Horologe Association (CHA) announces the creation of The China Watch Overseas Working Committee

This photo, taken in Beijing, shows Mr. LiWei, Group Leader of the Working Group of the Domestic Horologe Department of the CHA, with Mr. Wang Mengjin, the Vice-Chairman of the CHA, presenting Robin Tallendier with his copy of the official CHA announcement :-!

The China Horologe Association announces the creation of The China Watch Overseas Working Committee as a formal committee nominated by the China Horologe Association. All four of the members of this new Committee (as it happens, all WUS members) have developed strong and mutually supportive ties with the the China Horologe Association and its member collectors, companies and executives.

The Committee is described in more detail in the translation Robin provided, seen below.

Committee members:

Ron Good (Canada) of the Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCHPR) (AlbertaTime/f72 moderator at WUS), and honorary member of the CHA.

Brad Green (USA), Editor of EastWatchReview (Brad G at WUS) East Watch Review - Watch industry updates from the Far East

Boey Chern Yue (Singapore) (bcy at WUS) Boey is a well-regarded and very knowledgeable collector of VCMs and (especially) of modern Beijing Watch Factory watches.

Robin Tallendier (France) (Fandegrue at WUS) Robin is a UK student on exchange with Peking University in Beijing.

That's us...

The following is photos of the original plus a translation kindly provided by Robin. Any suggestions/improvements/corrections are welcomed.

In recent years, the China Horologe Association witnessed that the enthusiasm of the overseas clock and watch collector’s attention has been caused, and through their main website, they widely publicized Chinese clocks and watches products, supporting the development of domestic clocks and watches. What they have done is advantageous for Chinese products' development in the world market, and they have received welcomes from the Chinese clock and watch brands.

In order to integrate sources at home and abroad, doing some further service for the industry development, strengthening the construction of the committee, and promoting the work effectively, we decided to establish an overseas working group. This decision was proposed by the Chinese Horologe Association, and maintain the admission from the Office of Collection Commission. Now arrange the related things as below:

Part One. Name: - China Watch Overseas Working Committee

Part Two. Assignment:
1. This group takes the responsibility of promoting the Chinese horologe culture to the countries its members are located in. This also includes the development of Chinese horologe brands and their advantages or any related matters.
2. This group organizes the communication between horologe collectors from the countries of its members and Chinese collectors;
3. Write features and news or other kinds of articles about related business areas and post it on magazines or websites.
4. Carry out all kinds of works delegated by China Horologe Association of Collection.

Three: Institutional framework and persons selected.
The overseas group will set one chief expert (nominate Ronald Dudley Good); three implementation experts (Brad Green, Boey Chern Yue , Robin Tallendier). The specific works will be assigned by China Horologe Collection Association.

I think I very safely speak for all four of us when I say that we're all honoured to be given this opportunity to work more directly with the Chinese watch industry, with the support and direction of the CHA.

I've been fortunate to meet the other members of this committee face-to-face while in China (I envy all three of them the fact they get to spend more time there than I do o| :-d) my personal note here is that I couldn't be happier to have this closer association with three very gracious gentlemen, and I'm grateful to the CHA for being included. Looking forward to see where this leads...

·
Registered
473 Posts
This is great news, and congratulations to all the new committee members! I hope I don't sound greedy, but I'm too excited to bite my tongue: does this development have any practical implications for those of us dedicated to meticulous historical documentation?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Congratulations Ron, Robin, Boey and Brad! For those of us working tirelessly to improve the state of Chinese watchmaking and to educate the world on the quality and beauty of true Chinese watches, this is a milestone and a big step forward. I'm very much looking forward to what you all will help the CHA achieve in the coming years!

Like x 10,000!

·
Registered
93 Posts
祝贺中国钟表协会海外工作组成立。
感谢论坛上的朋友们长期对中国钟表的喜爱、收藏与研究。

我代表中国钟表专业工作组
欢迎朋友们来中国访问。
欢迎朋友们来北京交流。

感谢Ron Good
恭喜Ron Good

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you Ron for taking the time to post about the announcement! You are 100% right, I feel very honoured to be given such a opportunity; Chinese watches and clocks are my biggest passion, and to think that I will be able to get more involved and "closer" to the field fills me with joy.
On a more personal point, I'd like to thank you because had we not met by coincidence nearly two years ago in the Beijing Watch Factory shop on Wangfujing, and had you not offered me to follow you for the day, none of this would have ever been possible for me. I'm hugely thankful for that.

Thank you very much, Ben, for your kind words. I believe this is a dream we all share, and I'm very hopeful regarding the bright future of Chinese watchmaking. Chinese horology companies have a true desire to improve, and they strive to learn more, to innovate, to become more efficient... All this at a frantic speed. What they have achieved over the past few years is impressive to say the least. I am convinced that as time goes by, there will be more and more people acknowledging the genuine beauty and quality of the true Chinese watches.

:)

·
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a more personal point, I'd like to thank you because had we not met by coincidence nearly two years ago in the Beijing Watch Factory shop on Wangfujing, and had you not offered me to follow you for the day, none of this would have ever been possible for me. I'm hugely thankful for that.
Robin, please understand that the gratitude goes both ways. When I asked if you'd like to join me in my day's adventures, you didn't need to say yes. The thing was: I was leaving China in just a couple of days, as you know. During our time that afternoon I came to understand your intelligence and passion for the industry, and I very much understood how your very considerable education could provide you with valuable insights into the things you might observe. On top of that, the whole afternoon, you were straight up good company, and you carried yourself well.

I very quickly wanted you and Mr. LiWei to meet. I hoped you could work and learn to mutual benefit and friendship, and to help the industry, especially since I couldn't be there. I knew you'd bring good things to the east/west or domestic/overseas dialogue, and I'm thrilled the CHA sees what I see in you.

I'm hugely thankful for that, and more pleased than you can know that this is working out well for you.

And for us all in this group. I'm very grateful to Vice-Chairman Mr. Wang Mengjin, and to Group Leader Mr. LiWei, and to all members of the CHA for the opportunity to be included among this group of very thoughtful and gracious individuals. I have great respect for everyone involved.

·
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
感谢Ron Good
恭喜Ron Good
Please, my friend and teacher, I am grateful to you and to the CHA, with a special thanks to Mr. Wang Mengjin.

虚心接受,与感激之情

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is awesome, and shows that the chinese watch industry has more than a clue about watch lovers worldwide, and that they are very humble and inclusive towards different ideas. Congratulations!

I vaguely seem to remember the swiss watch industry doing something similar in the not too distant past, except that time i seem to recall the council created included industry insiders and what i might call watch snob types more than grass roots as i believe the case to be here.

I was already a fan of chinese watches before this, but i think this has the potential to help them really break into the worldwide mainstream watch market, let's all hope and pray for this!

The very first thing that has to happen right away, is a watch to commemorate this glorius occasion IMHO.

Something with an enamel dial, small(38mm tops) and thin in two versions, auto with lume, date and manual wind without date/lume. 400-500 usd target price. And everyone in the committee should contribute to its minutiae!

xD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello WUS,

With this exciting announcement, I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself to the community here, and tell a short version of how I came to be involved with this wonderful group of people. My connection isn’t quite as random as Robin's, but I do consider myself just as lucky.

I’ve been living and working in China since 2009. I started in Beijing and ended up where I am now, which is shuffling between Hong Kong and Guangzhou. I’ve been interested in watches for many years, but only a few years ago did I really start to take a close look at the industry. Most of my (still very minimal) education came from popular blogs and watch news/review websites, and what I realized was that Chinese watches just didn’t get much, if any, representation on these outlets. Recognizing that void, and being on the ground in China, I thought I was in a good position to do something unique and interesting. So I jumped in head first with East Watch Review in May of last year.

The following month was the Shenzhen Watch & Clock Fair. After a few days of going booth-to-booth introducing myself and my project, I quickly realized that this was going to be a challenge. When meeting with marketing people at these brands, brands who BTW tell me they want to expand their markets outside of China, I would often reference sites like ablogtowatch or hodinkee to show examples of my future plans for EWR. To my surprise, not one person I met with had heard of these sites, or even knew that online watch media outlets like EWR even exist. So I knew I was going to have a struggle on both ends…getting readers interested in Chinese watches, and also convincing Chinese brands that what I’m doing can benefit them.

On one of my first days at the Shenzhen fair, I did recognize a familiar face in passing…the WUS rock star of the western Chinese watch world, Mr. Ron Good. I recognized Ron immediately from his many posts and pictures here on WUS and other forums, but I wasn’t able to introduce myself in that moment. I thought I had missed my chance, but on my final day I was at the Rossini booth, and Tina (from Rossini) connected me with Ron via Wechat. Unfortunately Ron wasn’t around the show yet, and I was supposed to be leaving soon for HK. Later that day he invited me back to meet up (I should add that I was literally on the platform waiting for the next train to Hong Kong when I got his message. Think I made the right decision to go back?). I show up at Rossini again and Ron is there with a huge smile and a warm handshake, and introduces me immediately to Mr. Li Wei, who has also become a friend and valued teacher to me during these past many months. Ron told me right off the bat that my luck had just changed, and that couldn’t have been a truer statement. After 2 days of essentially getting nowhere, I suddenly had unprecedented access with Li Wei, Ron and a few other industry insiders. The rest of the afternoon was just as amazing, and ended with a BBQ dinner and Tsingtao’s with my new friends, including Mr. Mi Changhong from Longio and his family.

This won’t come as a shocker to anyone here, but I just have to reiterate again how genuinely awesome Ron is. As was the case with Robin in Beijing, Ron immediately opened this part of his world to me, and I couldn't be more grateful. I’m more than thrilled that he has also agreed to be a contributor on East Watch Review by providing some reviews and commentary.

I’m also very thankful to Li Wei for, among many things, his vision and steadfast efforts to turn this idea into reality. For the record, his Project 304 article is still the most highly trafficked article on my site. If you haven’t had a chance to check it out, please do.

I’m very much looking forward to wherever this adventure leads. And like our new working group, East Watch Review is also still very much in its infancy. I’ve actually slowed down on writing new articles and reviews over the last month or two as I’m going through a bit of a transitional period financially. If all goes according to plan (and it’s looking good so far), expect to see a lot more exciting things happening the second half of this year when I turn my focus to the watch world in more of a full-time capacity. I know that this WUS community is an extremely knowledgeable one, and I look forward to your feedback, as well as to spending more time here learning with you and from you all.

Cheers,

Brad

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
NEWS: China Horologe Association announces the The China Watch Overseas Worki...

Congratulations guys!

Looking forward to seeing how the Chinese watch industry develops and all the best for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Re: NEWS: China Horologe Association announces the The China Watch Overseas Worki...

I can only echo what several already have said: congratulations to the four nominees, all four friends of the larger WUS Community. And I do applaud Mr. LiWei, Mr. Wang Mengjin and the China Horologe Association in general with their vision and subsequent foundation of this Chapter / Committee. I do not know any of these members personally and only have interacted with Ron, but these seem th perfect people for the job, based on all that I've seen in this corner of WUS.

This will be a worthy effort indeed, but also an uphill battle - we have mostly been preaching to the choir and no-one in the know needs convincing that Chinese timepieces are no less than Swiss timepieces and the jury is out to the winners in true apples-to-apples comparisons. What needs to be overcome is perception, which is entirely possible, yet take a very long time.

I / we are constantly trying to promote Chinese horology through the CMW Projects at WUS - we think that's a fun and affordable way of introducing people to the wonderful world of Chinese watches, their technology and history. But it's also a "micro-effort", we're not reaching the masses and although we're extremely happy with all returning participants (indicative that we're doing something right), we do not see the word spreading and a continuous / increasing stream of "fresh blood".

With all of that said, we are here to help however we can to establish a more visible present of Chinese horology on the global map and maybe we can establish a symbiotic partnership between WUS-CMW and CHA to achieve just that.

With Best Regards,
RonB
2011 - 2016 CMW Project Committee

·
Registered
273 Posts
Robin, please understand that the gratitude goes both ways. When I asked if you'd like to join me in my day's adventures, you didn't need to say yes. The thing was: I was leaving China in just a couple of days, as you know. During our time that afternoon I came to understand your intelligence and passion for the industry, and I very much understood how your very considerable education could provide you with valuable insights into the things you might observe. On top of that, the whole afternoon, you were straight up good company, and you carried yourself well.

I very quickly wanted you and Mr. LiWei to meet. I hoped you could work and learn to mutual benefit and friendship, and to help the industry, especially since I couldn't be there. I knew you'd bring good things to the east/west or domestic/overseas dialogue, and I'm thrilled the CHA sees what I see in you.

I'm hugely thankful for that, and more pleased than you can know that this is working out well for you.

And for us all in this group. I'm very grateful to Vice-Chairman Mr. Wang Mengjin, and to Group Leader Mr. LiWei, and to all members of the CHA for the opportunity to be included among this group of very thoughtful and gracious individuals. I have great respect for everyone involved.
Apart from "thanks", there's not much anything else I can say... I really appreciate that you see things in that way! I have high hopes for the CWOWC! :)

·
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This won’t come as a shocker to anyone here, but I just have to reiterate again how genuinely awesome Ron is. As was the case with Robin in Beijing, Ron immediately opened this part of his world to me, and I couldn't be more grateful. I’m more than thrilled that he has also agreed to be a contributor on East Watch Review by providing some reviews and commentary.
Thanks to Tina Luo of Rossini for our very fortunate meeting. Again, especially since I can't be there as close as you (or you three, but right here I mean you, Brad) I immediately thought it would be wonderful for the Chinese industry to be able to meet and work with you and with what you're doing with EastWatchReview, and especially very quickly on meeting you I was sure I had every good reason to open anything I could for you. I'm thrilled we're working more closely here and supporting each other's visions for upcoming stuff. Thanks for your welcome to me at EastWatchReview.

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts