WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A small East German watch company has re-issued the NVA (NVA = Nationale Volksarmee = National People's Army, the armed forces of the erstwhile German Democratic Republic, that's the commie part of Germany for the non-cold war kids among us ;-)).

It is a quartz-driven (as was the original) 200m diver said to be based on the original drawings from 1983. Limited to 999 pieces, € 299.

Source: http://www.garde.de/html/aktuelles.shtml

·
Registered
509 Posts
I wonder if they're going to reproduce that strange crown...

If I recall correctly, on the original issued watch the crown you see is really a cap; the real crown was a much smaller and accessable after you unscrewed and removed that cover. There are Ruhla homage watches available (WatchDude uses them to make very nice custom watches) and the homages dispense with the crown cap and have a decent-sized normal crown.

Aloha,

andy

G

·
Re: I wonder if they're going to reproduce that strange crown...

If I recall correctly, on the original issued watch the crown you see is really a cap; the real crown was a much smaller and accessable after you unscrewed and removed that cover. There are Ruhla homage watches available (WatchDude uses them to make very nice custom watches) and the homages dispense with the crown cap and have a decent-sized normal crown.

Aloha,

andy
The real one here: http://scubawatch.org/ruhla_nva.html

Attachments

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Does it allow you to inform on friends and neighbors?;-)
The East German Armed Forces job was to protect against Nato forces. Not to inform on civilians! |>

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
They sure were!
Now they are our friends!! I wonder how many of the (older) German WUS members were on the opposing (East) side?
Is it not strange what Politics can do?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lost in Translation

In the USA "NVA" has a different connotation: North Vietnamese Army.

Maybe not so different after all.

Very interesting re-issue. I assume the quality will be better than the original.

Cam

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Re: Lost in Translation

Do they use the same quartz movement as on the original? The German text is a bit complex for my limited german.

We should not forget, that despite the overall lousy quality of the Eastern Bloc (generally speaking) production, some of the stuff they made in those days (specially for the Armed Forces) was of a really excellent quality.
No money pinching, accountancy and "lowest bidder" there!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Re: Lost in Translation

Do they use the same quartz movement as on the original? The German text is a bit complex for my limited german.

We should not forget, that despite the overall lousy quality of the Eastern Bloc (generally speaking) production, some of the stuff they made in those days (specially for the Armed Forces) was of a really excellent quality.
No money pinching, accountancy and "lowest bidder" there!
The original Ruhla's were cheap.

The case was chrome-plated base metal, the movement was cheap, the bezel did not ratchet, the bezel index on later ones did not have a luminous marker, the luminous hand and dial are small on most versions.

The cases style, first (re-)introduced by Ray Wong, in the "pseudo-Ruhla" found on ebay, were far superior, being stainless steel and ratcheting bezel, even if the bezel does turn a little too easily.

The cap type crown is a true pain to work, if these guys are on the ball, they have adopted the more functional conventional screw-down crown.

There are at least three places selling watches with this basic case design, Wong's "pseudo"-Ruhla, Dievas, and one other ebay brand whose name I can't remember. (I have a feeling, all these cases are made in the same place.)

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Here are my two NVA Ruhlas, both from the run of DDR-issued watches.

No. 1562, which I obtained in a trade in 2007:

And No. 571, bought off eBay earlier this year. Interestingly, while it is doubtless an issued watch it seems to have the seconds from the reissue :think:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello my name is Kris from Germany. I live near Ruhla, the birthplace of that watch.
Mine is 000529.

Nalu’s watch is 000571. But not sure about its case. It seems to be out of stainless steel, not brass.
Was it tested for brass or why the case is damaged ?
001562 was equipped with Ronda 315 in 1994. That watch has never seen the NVA.
Regards,
Kris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts