WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard any rumors? What do you think it will be? What (new) features might it have?

I am considering buying the Ultra (because of the better battery and barometer), but its one year old now,
perhaps i should wait for the next top model?

wbr / pirx

·
Registered
247 Posts
Going off previous product cycles, I'd wager a bet we won't see the next Spartan for at least a year, if not two.

The Spartan Ultra, in terms of hardware, seems solid. At this point it's squashing the crashing that's happening for some people (I've not experienced it), the goofy GLONASS offset bug, and other software related things.

Yeah, it seems Suunto software development is super slow. I don't know how big their team is, their process for development, etc...so no comment. I'm hopeful though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I suspect the Ultra 2 will be 2/3 years away. They're clearly well aware of the issues with the Spartan and this first year has just been playing catch-up, trying to get it to a stable place in terms of software. They'll add to the feature set over the next 12-18 months I'm sure as there's clearly lots of tweaks, improvements and things to add.

I think there'll be other Suunto watches aimed at other segments of the fitness tracker, running and general activity watch market, but can't see it being in their interest to get another Spartan out there yet. I'm sure its in their roadmap, but not yet.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Has anyone heard any rumors? What do you think it will be? What (new) features might it have?

I am considering buying the Ultra (because of the better battery and barometer), but its one year old now,

wbr / pirx
If Suunto can squash the crash bug, which I think is now less frequent IMHO it is a good time to buy. I am in the process of selling my A3P Sapphire Blue and been overall very happy with the Spartan. I put on the A3P the other day and decided I could not deal with the screen. Using powersave functions in "good" GPS fix I estimate 30-40h of battery, which is good enough for all of my 100 mile races and better or as good as the battery on the A3P for good fixes. I love the screen and I like having the vibration.

·
Registered
108 Posts
you can expect Suunto to release a new Premium-GPS-Watch next year. They are on a 2 year cycle when it comes down to their top-of-the-line GPS-Multisport-Watches. Ambit3 - 2014, Spartan - 2016.

Probably a Hardware refresh (like the Ambit or Fenix 3/HR/5 - series), not design. Suunto have to in order to stay competitive. Why? because it's very, very likely that Polar will release a new watch (The v800 is 3 years old already). Yeah and we don't have have to mention Garmin with a new fenix .... They are years ahead (fenix 5x is unbelievable)!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think next year as well. Perhaps by Spring, but no later than sometime next year. They did come out with the A2 only one year after the initial Ambit, however I highly doubt we'll see a Spartan 2 this year.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If Suunto can squash the crash bug, which I think is now less frequent IMHO it is a good time to buy. I am in the process of selling my A3P Sapphire Blue and been overall very happy with the Spartan. I put on the A3P the other day and decided I could not deal with the screen. Using powersave functions in "good" GPS fix I estimate 30-40h of battery, which is good enough for all of my 100 mile races and better or as good as the battery on the A3P for good fixes. I love the screen and I like having the vibration.
I haven't had any crashes yet fortunately. The screen is fantastic and the watch is very light and comfortable. Those are really big improvements over the Ambit (especially the readability) that I place a lot of value on, especially as it seems to be just about as accurate and reliable and does practically everything I want it to.

·
Registered
48 Posts

wbr / pirx

saw an indonesian post that suunto is taking preorders on the spartan trainer wrist hr.

already on sale price at 3,490,000 IDR which is about $262.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'd say next year at the earliest makes sense, there's no major hardware component developments that would seem to trigger an early move, plus they are likely finding moving to a totally new platform takes longer than they thought so fixing some issues now and having a more mature codebase is better than bringing out a marginally updated device that may introduce new bugs or issues.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'd say next year at the earliest makes sense, there's no major hardware component developments that would seem to trigger an early move, plus they are likely finding moving to a totally new platform takes longer than they thought so fixing some issues now and having a more mature codebase is better than bringing out a marginally updated device that may introduce new bugs or issues.
Look what I found on the Suunto Updates website..
Updates for Suunto Spartan

UPCOMING SUUNTO SPARTAN PLANS
Our focus this summer is to bring performance enhancements to the current Spartan solution. We are targeting to deliver some of these improvements by late summer/early autumn. Following this, we will be bringing a substantial, outdoor-focused release later in the autumn, currently scheduled for late October.

As we move forward, the cadence of our software updates will be once per quarter (approximately every three months). Updates will typically include both feature updates and performance improvements.

Interesting..

·
Registered
501 Posts
I assumed the OP was wondering when the replacement for the SSU would be (he did say "nex top model"). Although the Trainer is the next Spartan model to come out, it's definitely not the next SSU.
Right. No one really expects the Ultra to be replaced soon by a new model.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts