WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a watch with a Seiko NH35 inside.

Was working with no issues, keeping good time (losing few seconds per day)

One day the watch came to a stop - it wasn't dropped or banged

I tried to manually hand wind it and to wind it up with the rotor but still no go

I let it sit for a few weeks trying to decide what to do

Took it out of the case yesterday to take it to a local watch enthusiast, to see if he could offer any insight

As I was driving, I picked up the watch and noticed the second was moving. It moved one minute and the second hand came to a stop at the 40 sec mark - exactly where it was stopped before

The guy I took it too and me there is something wrong with the balance spring - doesnt want to work

So my dilemma is, should I put a new movement in or can this movement be fixed?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
A replacement movement runs about $35ish. I'd simply swap in a new one and not bother with trying to repair it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you need a little help, I LITERALLY just posted this a few minutes ago...

It's for a quartz watch, but basically the same deal.

As an FYI... a lot of the Seiko-powered watches that I've seen just "stop" and occasionally start up again... are usually due to the fact that the watch is assembled in China (in most cases). It ends up being... believe it or not, the movement retaining ring. There's usually plastic slag from the manufacturing process that breaks free from the trim ring and gets stuck in the gears. I've had two watches new that all I needed to do was remove the bridge, and there was some little piece of plastic jamming the gears. I then just blew air in there from my air bulb, reassembled the watch, and people went on with their lives. If you're looking to replace... I'd spend a little bit of time poking around myself first...

·
Registered
407 Posts
As an FYI... a lot of the Seiko-powered watches that I've seen just "stop" and occasionally start up again... are usually due to the fact that the watch is assembled in China (in most cases). It ends up being... believe it or not, the movement retaining ring. There's usually plastic slag from the manufacturing process that breaks free from the trim ring and gets stuck in the gears. I've had two watches new that all I needed to do was remove the bridge, and there was some little piece of plastic jamming the gears. I then just blew air in there from my air bulb, reassembled the watch, and people went on with their lives. If you're looking to replace... I'd spend a little bit of time poking around myself first...
I’ve never seen this happen in a Seiko over hundreds of examples.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Work out a deal with your enthusiast friend, where he installs a new NH35, and let him keep your old movement for parts.

·
Banned
Vaer C3, Seiko 6923-5079, 7N42-8209, Certina Podium DS
161 Posts
It happened to my SNK805. I liked the watch a lot but the 7S26C inside was junk. It went to the pawn shop and I just got a Vaer C3 with a Ronda quartz. Happy camper now.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Gotcha ! Thank you for the clarification.
Yeah, sorry... was responding on my phone. There are a lot of companies that use Seiko movements, particular the NH35, because it has such a good reputation for quality and value.

That said... the companies that are building the watches... many of which are Chinese manufacturers or the watches themselves are assembled in China (off-brands and lower-tier brands) will use the Seiko movements in their watches. They'll cut corners on everything else, and debris in the watch from manufacturing will fall into the gears of the Seiko movement. Not because of the movement, but because the off-brand watch manufacturer failed to ensure cleanliness in the manufacturing process.

Here's a good example... this is a German Junkers watch that I fixed for a colleague. Found this piece of white plastic lodged under the bridge. It came from the movement isolation bracket...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts