WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yep this auction was posted last week, its a real shame that the watch has been messed around with.

£800 is alot of money even for a 321 movement and a nice dial especially since the movement no longer works

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Isn't that the "Bedazzled" Speedy?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Looks like a 2 yr olds engraved it :-s
As noted in another post last week about the same speedy-the engraving was most likely done with a jewelers engraving tool which basically works like a small carbide/diamond tipped jackhammer. And if not an engraver-at least a Dremel tool. Either of these tools would produce enough vibration to be the cause of the movements not working. The winner took a big chance on a dial and a possible parts movement. But if just a few screws vibrated loose or retainers came out? Maybe whoever bought it has a nice case to stick it in?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would have paid that without batting an eye, last year I bought a piece of @&%$ for 11800US, it was laughed about right here, took the dial out sold it for 600, the hands for 150, and the movement for 1200, they were all correct and legitimate, I threw the copper case away, this guy made a prudent business decision, the prior owner liked it engraved, who cares, we care as WIS, but we are a true minority

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I would have paid that without batting an eye, last year I bought a piece of @&%$ for 11800US, it was laughed about right here, took the dial out sold it for 600, the hands for 150, and the movement for 1200, they were all correct and legitimate, I threw the copper case away, this guy made a prudent business decision, the prior owner liked it engraved, who cares, we care as WIS, but we are a true minority*

So let me get this straight: You spent $11,800 usd for something (i don't know what) and sold the hands, dial and movement for a combined total of $1950.00usd and then you chucked the case away leaving you with whatever was left for $9,850? :rodekaart. Something doesnt sound right.

*also-as m4tt was the first to point out the engraving was done by high-speed vibrating tool-he thought a Dremel, I thought the far worse diamond/carbide tipped engravers tool-but either of these tools-if done w/o removing the movement would have subjected this movement to incredibly high levels of stress and impact vibrations. (the engravers tool working like a mini jack-hammer pounding away @ hundred pulsations pr. sec. I think this would be sufficient to cause internal damage to the movement and at least loosen things up a bit.)

But I will grant you-on the plus side: If the movements are as tough as their reputation speaks then it may very well have survived with minimal damage from a loose-handed engraver and you'd be correct-in that case the buyer was making a prudent business calculation. But remember-w/o a working movement-he did take a risk which only would we know the outcome of if winner chose to post here. Like you-I dont really care that someone decide to over-decorate their speedy case. "To each their own". I was more inclined towards caution based on the obvious level of crudity in the engraving and the probable damage therefrom.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
The engraving reminds me of Chopper Reid's tattoo's :-d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts