Registered
29,512 Posts
Oh, alright then...

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Nice! What happened to the Omega?:-s
Gone!

There I was, minding my own business, when I was rudely interrupted by a thought - 'Why do I have watches with rotating bezels that I never rotate?

After a day or two of mulling it over, I sold my two Precistas. I wasn't yet ready to sell the Seamaster. I looked at it, I slipped it on and off my wrist, and then after about a week I took a deep breath... and sold it.

I was quite surprised to find myself selling it, but I haven't regretted it. I had also begun to wonder if it wasn't a bit too shiny, a bit too noticeable, a bit too prestigious. A bit like having a BMW on your wrist.

So there we are, my 'retirement' watch - gone. And I haven't even got to retirement. :)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Thanks, Sjors - I'm very pleased with it. It's a genuinely classic design, I think.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Interesting you never need a timer on an analog watch? I use the bezel on mine all the time. Its the analog version of a Stopwatch.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Interesting you never need a timer on an analog watch? I use the bezel on mine all the time. Its the analog version of a Stopwatch.
What we need on a watch is a question I've often asked myself. All most of us really need is the time. I use the countdown timer and stopwatch on my Gs, but could get by without them. It might be different if I regularly used a watch in a sporting or scientific capacity. If a watch has these functions, I like them to be fully implemented. This means a 24hr timer, and time visible in all modes. The latter is an important aspect of utility. You only have to press a button to see the time, but you shouldn't have to. It's like having the date on the back of an analogue watch.

For some reason, it has never become second nature to me to use a bezel for timing. I always found myself calculating the period in my head, and then noting when the hands reached the end of the period. I also hate the look of a watch when the bezel indicator isn't sitting precisely at 12 o'clock. After using the bezel I found myself double- (and triple- and quadruple-) checking that it was properly centred, not 20 seconds off. Because of this somewhat obsessional characteristic, it was easier not to use it at all. :)

I do sometimes miss a timer, though. I might investigate chronographs next - maybe a Sinn 356...

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I also hate the look of a watch when the bezel indicator isn't sitting precisely at 12 o'clock.
That annoys me too. I even make sure they're dead on 12 when I'm putting them away. :-s

That's another really nice watch you've got. Somehow all your watches look like they belong together, despite their diversity.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I must be getting somewhere with this 'know your taste' thing. :)
Yes, it seems you are. They even seem to fit your online persona (if that's the right word). I have too many watches I like, but it's becoming increasingly apparent I'm not going to wear. I plan to let about half of them go and buy one that's really 'me', but I've no idea what it is yet. :think:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts