WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was surprised I had no competition for a little over scrap value for a wide diameter 12 size 46mm Waltham Opera watch. These are known as 6-12 with a 6/0s movement with a perforated spacer. I am not familiar with these I considered stupid novelties. Was unaware a double case arrangement without spacer like this one by Brooklyn W.C. co. was made. A heavy case for a thin 12s. Dial identical to an early Gruen. Maybe merely a cheaper version than the decorative spacer cases, but heavier gold. Anyway to me interesting good quality case arrangement about 1912. Something different to look at. Maybe not properly called an Opera style? Although the advertized Opera was designed to be especially thin with this little movement with snap on backs not double hinge front and rear like this one.

Added a friend's proper Opera model photo with rare Maximus 6/0s.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Beautiful casing! Looks very protective.

I am not familiar with the term 'opera' as used here...???

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Became a generic term for a thin p.w. case with a w.w. size mvnt. Collectors consider only the original 1912+ Waltham is the Opera.

From Jeweler wholesale catalog.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only occasion I was fooled about gold case this year is this one. No intent to deceive but nice colorful photos by seller did not show the gray internal case parts. The gold is only the thin outer clam shell part, so about 1/2 weight expected. Want accurate color? Need to use sunlight or similar, not an old filament light bulb, and use the digital color adjuster. However a rare collectible with o.k. pricing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final comment on this. Mistakenly described by seller as 6 size so I assummed 6/0. Actually a 3/0 size which is a little larger than 6/0. An odd one, so rare as a package.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts