WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, it sure has been awhile since I last posted on this forum. Nice to pop in.

I have a friend that gets an allergic reaction when physically exposed to nickel. He just purchased a Citizen E800 something and has broken out with a pretty noticeable reaction on his wrist. He just asked me if the G-shock brand uses any nickel on the watch face backs. I told him I would chime in and see if I could get any feedback. I, and he appreciates any similar stories along with possible information of the G-shock backs.

Thanks again guys. Your's truly, Stromboli. . . . :) :) :) :) :)

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,596 Posts
All stainless steel (casio or not) is usually containing an amount of Nickel.
Other then a "real" nickel coating it should be inert and not leaking from the steel.
If he has reactions to nickel with stainless steel then he should look out for full plastic watches like the F-28W or titanium watches like some Frogmans or the Gulfman with titanium back.

·
Registered
180 Posts
All stainless steel (casio or not) is usually containing an amount of Nickel.
Other then a "real" nickel coating it should be inert and not leaking from the steel.
If he has reactions to nickel with stainless steel then he should look out for full plastic watches like the F-28W or titanium watches like some Frogmans or the Gulfman with titanium back.
pretty much what d2mac said. they have to go with an all plastic watch or a watch with a titanium case back.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I think that your feedback from all you have helped him out alot. He and myself would like to thank your efforts again. Sincerely Stromboli.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
My Gulfmaster is in stainless steel in back cover

Phone: Galaxy Note 4
Watch: G-Shock Gulfmaster & Rangeman

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Wow, it sure has been awhile since I last posted on this forum. Nice to pop in.

I have a friend that gets an allergic reaction when physically exposed to nickel. He just purchased a Citizen E800 something and has broken out with a pretty noticeable reaction on his wrist. He just asked me if the G-shock brand uses any nickel on the watch face backs. I told him I would chime in and see if I could get any feedback. I, and he appreciates any similar stories along with possible information of the G-shock backs.

Thanks again guys. Your's truly, Stromboli. . . . :) :) :) :) :)

Welcome back! You may find the following thread of interest...

Here

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Reactions: domoon

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got the same affliction and have found a number of solutions over the years. I should note that I get a rash from all SS watches except those specifically formulated without nickel. The idea that they're inert until they've aged hasn't been the case for me.

1. Buy watches without nickel - titanium, plastic, carbon fiber, nickel-free SS, etc.

2. If you do buy something with nickel, buy a coating for the back of the watch, put 2-3 coats on there. My wife's clear nail polish works well, but there are also special purpose products you can buy

3. NATO/ZULU straps do make a big difference and minimize contact with skin.

I've found that any plastic or tape coating that I've tried doesn't have the staying power of painting on a coating, and then I'm replacing the sticker all the time.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
All G-Shocks are in compliance with the EU guidelines for nickel content. So one should not develop nickel allergy from wearing them. However if you are already allergic the small amounts of nickel still present can cause issues.

The only model I can think of suitable for someone like that is the G-001 Jason G-Shock since it have both a plastic resin cover that cover most of the back and also an all plastic buckle on the strap as can be seen here:

Watch Watch accessory Font Personal protective equipment Watch phone

The Jason is discontinued but can still be found on line such as eBay and Amazon!

Covering the back of a watch with a coating might not be the full solution since the buckle can still cause problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts