WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Web site quote:

Decimal watch

The movement of this watch was converted to a decimal time display. This time classification should have been introduced in 1793 in the French Revolution by decree. Yet it was not possible to enforce this kind of time classification.
Because of a new set of wheels the minute hand of the watch rotates 10 times a day (originally 24 times). The hour hand carries out only one turn at the same time. Due to the decimal scale of the clock face the day is divided into 10 hours a. 100 minutes. Converting this time classification requires some practice. For this reason, there is on the back of the clock a conversion chart. The stainless steel case has a diameter of 42mm and is equipped with two anti-reflective sapphire glasses.

pic courtesy of watchtime.net

Movement is a NOS PUW with a new set of wheels.

Additional info and pics: Nienaber Watch from Bünde - Germany | decimal watch | decimal watch

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe it’s only me but I find a decimal watch quite useless. I would find it quite tiring to ‘translate’ the decimal time to ‘real time’. The design looks quite nice though.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree with Alsothis1, but it's an arbitrary thing to be sure. Look how much more rational and useful the metric system is, but the US stubbornly clings to the old system of measurement. Engineers are forced to master two systems, and we must communicate with colleagues from all parts of the world. A system ripe for failure? I think so.

If we had gone to decimal time 200 years ago, none of us would think it was weird today. It's interesting to note that when we get to the smallest whole division of our time scale, we abandon the base 60 system for base 10 (i.e., tenths of seconds, hundredths, etc). Think how ridiculous it would seem if we kept dividing seconds by 60, and by 60 again, and again, and....

I suppose the downside to a metric time system is that a time zone would be either 144 minutes long or 72 minutes long, which would mean all the high quality "hour-long" TV shows we now enjoy would be that much longer.

Myron

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It seems barely a week since New Year, and April 1st comes round already!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts