WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a long period of silence I try to put togther one AWW review more.

Specification
Name: Rainer Nienaber KS Twenty4
Size: Ø 41mm, with crown 44mm, lug to lug 49mm, height 11mm
Movement: ETA 2893-2
Time display: the hour hand and the representation disk of the northern hemisphere are turning together around the dial once in 24 hours
Dial colors: blue
Date indicator: date at 6
Text on dial: Nienaber Bünde
Hands: SuperLumiNova
Crown: screwed
Case: stainless steel
Back: glass, screwed w text: Rainer Nienaber Bünde-Westf wasserdicht 50 M KING SIZE 24 hour
Crystal: sapphire
Water-resistant: 50 m
Strap: blue shark, lugs 20

Rainer Nienaber is an independent watchmaker, AHCI (ACADEMIE HORLOGERE de CREATEURS INDEPENDANTS) member, who has his own watch brand. His one-man-company is making exclusive small-series watches since 1989. Rainer’s home town is Bünde, that’s why the watches have Nienaber-Bünde on the dial.

When you usually have to pay for AHCI-member products five-digit amonts of money or more, then Nienaber’s list prices are often about two or three grands.

In 2000 Rainer Nienaber started to produce „KING SIZE“ line watches. KING SIZE or KS stands for big date window, much larger than normal and with no split window. There are two date disc and they change over on the 16th, one atop the other. This special construction was developed by Nienaber in 1998. Video how king size date works.

Today we review KING SIZE Twenty4, the only true 24h watch in KS line. Unfortunately, Twenty4 is also the one WITHOUT actual KING SIZE date window. Twenty4 was included into KS line probably because the watch case is the same as with other KS watches.

I got my used Twenty4 from a Japanese auction. I’ve seen it in auctions only once in last 5 years. As Mr. Nienaber told me, he produced 50 pieces of Twenty4.

My Twenty4 came with original box and papers. My watch was first sold in November 2012.

Dial. The hour hand and the representation of the northern hemisphere are turning together once in 24 hours. There is no extra functionality built in with this northern hemisphere disc. (To make it show real timezones northen hemisphere disc should rotate counter-clockwise. One of the rare watches doing it is Seiko’s Think The Earth watch.) The normal (not KING SIZE) date window is at the position „midnight“.
The dial is „top 12“ type, my favourite for 24h watch. Lebibility is very good. Hour markers and hands are lumed too.

Movement. Automatic movement ETA 2893-2. This is the variation of 2893 with added 24h 4th hand. The movement is nice, but has no extra decoractions as you can see through the glass case back.

Case. All the KING SIZE collection watches have these type of cases. Unpolished stainless steel case has diamater 41mm and is 11 mm thick. A remarkable feature of all KING SIZE watches are the crown protecting shoulders. It is a matter of taste, of course – some people think that these shoulders are old-fashioned, some say that they have a practical value.
The case is fitted out with a sapphire glass, a glass back screwed cover and screwed strap lugs. Twenty4 is waterproof up to 50m. Again, some people don’t like at all screwed strap lugs.

Strap. The original strap is blue sharkskin.

I’m happy with my Nienaber KS Twenty4. I’m wearing it quite often, when I need a „blue“ watch. I’m only sorry for, that it doesn’t have cool true KING SIZE date window.
I like Rainer Nienaber, who’s main specialty are retrograde watches. He even used nickname retroman in German watch forum. He has some interesting true 24h watches more in his current catalog. Rainer is very active in youtube posting videos of all his watches.

2018-01-16 12.03.36.jpg 2018-01-16 12.03.53.jpg 2018-01-16 12.04.09.jpg 2018-01-16 12.04.20.jpg 2018-01-16 12.02.56.jpg 2018-01-16 12.04.41.jpg 2018-01-16 12.04.57.jpg 2018-01-16 12.05.49.jpg

·
Registered
40,225 Posts
Re: Nienaber KS Twenty4, a rare watch from retroman (AWW55)

A brand not seen much around here, I've had my KS Date for 17 years, really has a 'made in the woodshed' look about it. My watchmaker told me the date module
is something a clockmaker would do. No quality look about this baby, but I still wear it from time to time. Got it after a coin-flip over a Temption - Olympic.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Re: Nienaber KS Twenty4, a rare watch from retroman (AWW55)

Yes, a great watch for "little" money:

ks24-1.jpg

The bezel of my KS24 seems to be a little bit different to Avo`s watch.
When I bought the watch (directly from Mr. Nienaber) in 2013, Mr. Nienaber told me that
this KS24 was the last one produced.

Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts