WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick this up a few months ago at the flea market.I haven't had the time to share it with you guys. Now is the time.;-)
A few guys at the flea market had picked it up and finally put it back on the table because they didn't know what it was.As soon as I picked it up I told myself ,this couldn't be. I asked the vendor if he knew..nop!
Of course the price reflected the vendors ignorance...$5
This is a early wooden watch stand with a light bulb so you could see the hour on the night table.
Its operated by a switch which makes contact between the battery and the light bulb.
Very cool.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
I have never seen this before... way cool! :)

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Very, very cool.
Age? looks old but?
60s 70s 80s
Modern bulb and, well not sure
If really from the 30s ? Great find

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
That is fantastic. Well bought that man! Thums.gif

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
So I wonder what the original power source was? Certainly not Duracell ;-)

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
So I wonder what the original power source was? Certainly not Duracell ;-)
Judging by the size of the box, I doubt it was even D cell zinc carbon batteries...

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
You would be surprised but the AA sized batteries were introduced in 1907!
Interesting... but the chemistry of batteries in 1907 probably would not be up to powering an incandescent filament for very long it you only have an AA sized batch of chemicals. I suspect this had one of those much larger rectangular batteries that were common prior to the 1950s.

The actual AA battery holder appears to be a more recent addition. Parts may have been removed during that upgrade.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Interesting... but the chemistry of batteries in 1907 probably would not be up to powering an incandescent filament for very long it you only have an AA sized batch of chemicals. I suspect this had one of those much larger rectangular batteries that were common prior to the 1950s.

The actual AA battery holder appears to be a more recent addition. Parts may have been removed during that upgrade.
Perhaps. Those were quite popular.
Bateria3R12.jpg
The interesting thing is - inside each of these are 3 AA sized cells.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had my friend fix the thing and it came back working with a AA battery which is fine with me. Really fun to turn it on in complete darknest. You better have a watch with big clear numbers so you don't have to wake up completely to read the time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is a totally awesome thread. I really like the one with the magnifying glass.

I am a total flea market junkie. One of my favorite moments is finding something and trying to figure out what the heck it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts