WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this deserved to be in it's own thread. I am really digging the NT.

Hey Now:

Some quick thoughts on the Night Train:

The NT is nice and beefy, but not overpowering. At 43mm, this is not a small watch, but yet you don't feel like you are wearing a tank on your wrist.

The dial is very nicely laid out. It is a simple and very legible military style dial, with the Zulu time window(not settable to a second zone) between 10/11 on the dial. This window consistently drew me to this watch.

The case is exactly what I wanted...whoever called it gun metal (Geoff?) nailed it on the head. It is perfect as to me, the all black cases are not my cup of tea, and this is a nice way to achieve a darker look.

The crown also has some heft, and I always like a crown with well pronounced groves/notches on a sports watch. The orange stitching works really well with the dial. I have the rubber strap as well and am also quite happy with it's design. Both possess what I believe is called the "barrel buckle," which to me looks like a railroad lever.

The lower profile bezel gives you that pocket watch look, and it is a nice compliment to my MoonPhase.

The lume is simply out of this world. I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like this before. You all already know the story here so I won't bore you. But I am impressed and I dig the blue and yellow glowing at me.

I will provide more details as the watch and I become better acquainted.

Thanx for all of your kind words, in this post and always.

·
Registered
944 Posts
That is one fine watch that has me salivating all over my keyboard :p Scott you have me wanting (needing) one more with every mention of this Beautyo| I may be spending more money before i want to:-( Enjoy!
p.s. Congrats on the New "Train"

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hi Scott,

Great pics and great review! |> |>

I've described the NT DLC case color as being close to that of "gun metal", but am probably not the only one to have done so. ;-)

I'm glad to see that you're pleased with your new Night Train! :-!

Enjoy, Scott! ;-)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I woke up last nite and looked at my wrist for a time check. It was then that I remembered I was wearing the NT. After a few minutes under the cover, I went back to bed, with visions of the lite show still dancing in my head.

The T100 Tritium is amazing. I also was able to see a Moonglow which is magnificent as well. A couple of you have the Moonglow and it is amazing. Rich, I feel your pain.

I love the larger dial and second hand, as you can really see the second hand sweep and with a 10x loupe witness every tick within every second.

The core of my collection is in my sig file, Liz' Ball will come and then I am done.

I also learned that the Ball dealer that is handling the Museum Tour in South Florida has a wonderful father/son watchmaking team, and next up is the overhauling of some of my Hamiltons. Sorry, no vintage Balls, but Mr. Ball was a part of the Hamilton management team if my meager memory is correct.

I am glad I am done buying watches for a while. I look forward to being able to sit back and continue to learn about Ball from all of you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi scott,

i read in your review of the night train that you have a small wrist. i have about a 6.5 inch wrist myself and i'm considering a night train but i'm worried about the 43mm diameter. can you please post a wrist shot of your night train? thanks a bunch! :)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure...here are two Q and D's...one with each strap for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Scott....... thanks for the great review.

There are just 2 minor issues for me :

1. Lug width of 21 mm ....... should be 22. Hope there won't be much problem to squeeze fit a 22mm if needed to replace a different leather strap.
2. The crown is not 'DLC'd', not so much concern on scratch protection here
but I think its more asethetically appealing to have 1 'gun metal color' tone.

Still, this will be my next Ball watch to get for the DLC case scratch protection, nice 43mm case size, unique UTC window display and incredible second indice lume............. and of course your great review helps :)

Thanks.
JimmyT.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Luck Jimmy. I am very fond of my NT.

·
Registered
287 Posts
22mm straps go on just fine, I suggest you can get some nice looking 22mm distressed aviator straps from any Dakota Watch Company store at your local mall, or online from Ofrei (very cheap and good quality).
As far as the crown, you will never even notice it.

Hi Scott....... thanks for the great review.

There are just 2 minor issues for me :

1. Lug width of 21 mm ....... should be 22. Hope there won't be much problem to squeeze fit a 22mm if needed to replace a different leather strap.
2. The crown is not 'DLC'd', not so much concern on scratch protection here
but I think its more asethetically appealing to have 1 'gun metal color' tone.

Still, this will be my next Ball watch to get for the DLC case scratch protection, nice 43mm case size, unique UTC window display and incredible second indice lume............. and of course your great review helps :)

Thanks.
JimmyT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts