WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Wanted some opinions and advice. I'm really tempted to buy the Oregon watch made by Nike.

Model
WA0023-001.

http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Oregon-Digital-Regular-A0023-001/dp/B000E8J5R2/ref=pd_sbs_a_8

My only hesistation is I have read reviews on Amazon and on other watch shops online reviews that the strap on the watch can break within 3-12months of purchase. As the strap is moulded to the body as one piece and has no pins, once it breaks it is useless.

Does anyone have any opinions on this or has this watch to further prove or disprove the statement on the strap? Also what is your opinion on the watch anyway?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Hi all.

Wanted some opinions and advice. I'm really tempted to buy the Oregon watch made by Nike.

Model
WA0023-001.

http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Oregon-Digital-Regular-A0023-001/dp/B000E8J5R2/ref=pd_sbs_a_8

My only hesistation is I have read reviews on Amazon and on other watch shops online reviews that the strap on the watch can break within 3-12months of purchase. As the strap is moulded to the body as one piece and has no pins, once it breaks it is useless.

Does anyone have any opinions on this or has this watch to further prove or disprove the statement on the strap? Also what is your opinion on the watch anyway?

Thanks
for $38 what do you expect? :-s

seems to me a new watch at this price can only be a throw-away item! ;-)

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I own several Nike's (6) and have never had a quality control issue with any of them. Two of my watched have that style of strap... Never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I own several Nike's (6) and have never had a quality control issue with any of them. Two of my watched have that style of strap... Never had an issue.
i guess it depends on how hard they get used. also, plastics become brittle at sub-zero temperatures.

i have one watch with a moulded strap. i bought it to keep in my desk at work incase i forgot to put my usual watch on. basically, it was so cheap i wouldn't have minded if it got stolen.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Hi all.

Model
WA0023-001.

Thanks
I own 3 oregons, which I've had for about a year and a half, and have had the same experience as Jeff. They have all been perfect. For $38 you will get a good quality piece, but a relatively basic one. This is not one of the Alti models or one of the ABC models. this will be a nice but standard digital with a basic set of features. another thing to understand is that in Nike Speak, the word "regular", when used t describe a watch, means mid sized. If you want a full sized oregon, you want to get those described as Super, Alti-Super, or Alti-Compass.

As for the strap, it is an integrated design, but it is designed to be replaceable. You can order replacements from nike here:

http://www.nikewatchrepair.com/nike_models.htm

The strap is all one piece. Both sides (adjustable strap and keeper strap) are attached as a single unit to a circular center ring that attaches to the underside of the case via four post mounted screws. You can see what I'm talking about here:

Once the strap is mounted the outside edge of the strap blocks the screw posts from view, while the movement case ring covers it from the bottom. The same design is used in all their rubber strap models (from the more basic regulars, to the high end Alti-Compass Models) and it is very high quality, and yes, you should expect that for $38. If you are still not sold, I believe that there is a variant of the Supper or Alti Supper that uses a nylon strap. That one is not available in the Alti-compass models.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
With all due respect, If you are not familiar with the watch, how can you be so sure that you are giving adequate advice? Yes the regular oregon line is a base model sports watch, but it is far from a throw away piece, even at Amazon's very discounted prices.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi all.

Model
WA0023-001.

Thanks
I've have the alti-compass version of this watch. I've had it for 3+ years and have had zero problems and I have beaten the heck out of it mountain climbing, canyoneering, mountain biking, snowboarding, swimming etc. Only a few scratches on bezel and buckle. It's held up very well.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
I've have the alti-compass version of this watch. I've had it for 3+ years and have had zero problems and I have beaten the heck out of it mountain climbing, canyoneering, mountain biking, snowboarding, swimming etc. Only a few scratches on bezel and buckle. It's held up very well.
I've also got the Alti-Compass version, and I think it's one of the better rubber straps that I've ever owned. It's thick and rugged, but still supple enough to be comfortable. The only time I've had problems with straps splitting or cracking has been with harder polyurethane or plastic material, and this feels nothing like that. If you like the watch, I wouldn't let the strap hold you back.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
With all due respect, If you are not familiar with the watch, how can you be so sure that you are giving adequate advice? Yes the regular oregon line is a base model sports watch, but it is far from a throw away piece, even at Amazon's very discounted prices.
because at that price it simply isn't worth anyones time and effort to try to repair it. it's going to be so much cheaper to simply buy new. i was quoted £40 for a very basic replacement seiko watch case. that's $80. then i was told they were no longer available. add a modest charge for doing the repair and were easily talking £50-£60. or $100-$120. just to give you some idea of the economics, unless you know otherwise, of course. it's one thing to produce an item cheaply. it's quite another to provide cheap spares and servicing.

PS: i'm not saying the strap WILL fail. i'm just saying that IF it does IT WILL be uneconomical to repair. that's my opinion but i could, of course, be wrong!

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
because at that price it simply isn't worth anyones time and effort to try to repair it. it's going to be so much cheaper to simply buy new. i was quoted £40 for a very basic replacement seiko watch case. that's $80. then i was told they were no longer available. add a modest charge for doing the repair and were easily talking £50-£60. or $100-$120. just to give you some idea of the economics, unless you know otherwise, of course. it's one thing to produce an item cheaply. it's quite another to provide cheap spares and servicing.
IIRC, the actual retail price of the watch is closer to $100. The watch comes with a warranty and repair parts are made for it, so at least by design it is not meant to be disposable, but rather, repairable. If you purchase the watch at a very discounted price, it might not make economic sense to repair it. However, that does not mean that it is a throw away piece. All it means is that the user in question finds no financial argument for it's repair. since those prices vary greatly from one region to another, such might not be the same to another person in a different market, or to another person with a personal attachment to the particular piece.

an example of a watch that was made by design to be disposable are most swatch watches. By encapsulating the movement in the plastic cases and making it unreachable without destroying the crystal, swatch has intentionally made the watch disposable once the movement fails. Other then replacement straps, swatch makes no replacement parts for many of their models. That is a disposable watch. That said, if cared for many swatches can run beautifully for decades (I have at least 2 that have).

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
IIRC, the actual retail price of the watch is closer to $100. The watch comes with a warranty and repair parts are made for it, so at least by design it is not meant to be disposable, but rather, repairable. If you purchase the watch at a very discounted price, it might not make economic sense to repair it. However, that does not mean that it is a throw away piece. All it means is that the user in question finds no financial argument for it's repair. since those prices vary greatly from one region to another, such might not be the same to another person in a different market, or to another person with a personal attachment to the particular piece.

an example of a watch that was made by design to be disposable are most swatch watches. By encapsulating the movement in the plastic cases and making it unreachable without destroying the crystal, swatch has intentionally made the watch disposable once the movement fails. Other then replacement straps, swatch makes no replacement parts for many of their models. That is a disposable watch. That said, if cared for many swatches can run beautifully for decades (I have at least 2 that have).
going back to my original post, i stated:

for $38 what do you expect? :-s

seems to me a new watch at this price can only be a throw-away item! ;-)

i didn't say it wasn't serviceable. i implied it wouldn't be worth servicing. that's what i meant by throw-away.

but your reply begs the question, what would it cost to replace the strap on this watch?

after that, is this item currently available?

i have a pulsar that got retired for lack of an available replacement bracelet. eventually i bought a junker and used the bracelet from that.

even high end watch manufacturers are not immune to this. for example: i can't get a set of hands for an early breitling aerospace.

PS: another true story. i needed a set of 4 screws for a casio. the screws were £0.50 each. but when i went to collect them i got charged £7 handling!!! that's $18 just for the screws that hold the caseback on. no fitting. i did it myself.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
but your reply begs the question, what would it cost to replace the strap on this watch?

after that, is this item currently available?
The last time I checked, I believe the price was around $15, but that was a while ago. I don't know what they cost today or whether there is shipping involved. Yes they are still available and the watch is a current model.

i needed a set of 4 screws for a casio. the screws were £0.50 each. but when i went to collect them i got charged £7 handling!!! that's $18 just for the screws that hold the caseback on. no fitting. i did it myself.
Ouch, That is just wrong. To quote Jack Sparrow, that would make me feel "sullied and unusual". :-(

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
I think both you guys are really correct here. At Amazon's price, looks like a replacement strap would be near the price of a new watch. But in another year or two, it's unlikely that the watch would still be readily available for $38. So if the strap does break down the road, the watch would have likely already 'paid for itself' because it was so cheap to begin with. But if there was no comparable new model at a similar price, or if it had sentimental value, it would possible to fix it. Whether this would be cost effective is a matter of opinion.

My guess is that the reviewers who had a problem weren't watch guys and never bothered to discover that the strap was indeed replaceable. The just read 'pinless strap design' and assumed it was a total loss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts