WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D7100 (DX camera) and a 24-70 2.8 pro lens which is technically an FX lens. What are my options to get some good quality macro shots? Are there any adapters or am I looking at a dedicated macro lens? Any particular recommendations?

·
Registered
389 Posts
You could probably get close on the short side (24mm) but you will see the softness in the corners; actually that lens is supposed to be really nice so maybe not. I think you got enough pixels to crop a nice close up and you can also crop in the camera.
A 55mm manual micro is fairly inexpensive (what I got), but if I was going to get serious I'd opt for the 105 micro (for DX).
I was thinking about the 105 but I'm done with my macro phase and the 55 2.8 is enough for me.
Again don't forget about using the crop in the camera, it helps when you want to get close(r).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't cropping in camera do the same thing as cropping in lightroom after the fact?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shoot in RAW only and keep all the files in Lightroom so they are never turned to JPG unless I export copies.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I will take a look at the 55. The 105 is my dream but pretty costly.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwix18LPtKjNAhUs_4MKHRvODuIQFgguMAI&url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545660-USA/Nikon_2177_AF_S_Micro_Nikkor_60mm_f_2_8G.html&usg=AFQjCNGD6NSzig8Nb7ebtoVfJuiK4JQiTg&sig2=GrVQE17YiY_FraHwW6YDFg&bvm=bv.124272578,d.amc

I've used this lens successfully for 4 years now. The advantage of one is that in addition to its proficiency as a macro lens, it is also a very credible 60 mm for general photography, medium tele. I've used it very happily on both DX and FX variants; currently with D750.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd fully recommend a 105mm, but a friend of mine said he got some extension tubes to use on a 70 -200 2.8 and he got some really good results he does use a D4s though.

Not the greatest shot but gives you an idea of the 105mm

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts