WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping watches today in London but none of the ADs (Goldsmiths, Harrods, Watches of Switzerland etc) all don't want to give even a bit of discount. They can give you a glass of champagne but not even a 10-15% discount. Is this normal nowadays? I have been trying to buy a Tudor, Breitling and Tissot all cash but no dice. Am I having unreal expectations? Do I need to further out of town (living in Central London)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was offered 10% off a new Tudor Pelagos Blue in Ernst jones near St. Paul’s. I just cut to it and said I’m ready to buy so give me your best price. 10% no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I feel like that’s normal at almost all ADs, even in the US, unless you have a relationship with the AD ... I’m in London studying, and I’ve found it to be pretty expensive, especially for luxury goods (considering the VAT and all). Many stores seem to just replace the $ with a £...

EDIT: I was referencing Rolex only, not sure about Tudor, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was trying to get the Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Breathing Navitimer GMT.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how to edit a message, I meant a Breathing Navitimer.

Was offered 10% off a new Tudor Pelagos Blue in Ernst jones near St. Paul’s. I just cut to it and said I’m ready to buy so give me your best price. 10% no problem.

Really interesting, Goldsmiths Victoria didn't give any discounts. Only on Omega's :/

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Ive found London to be like Monaco nowadays. Trillions of £'s swilling around the few miles in the middle with the have nots sleeping in doorways (the subways around park lane are particularly sad considering the price of food and property around there) so the central London sellers dont need to reduce their prices as their customers dont need to haggle. I remember being in the Harrods watch hall looking at an omega and a very bored guy walked up, asked to look at the same watch I was looking at and just said "ok, ill take it". It was a bit depressing really, he seemed to have no joy in buying it, didnt even look at it. Sales assistant was the same, just took his card, bagged it up and he walked out. His excited daughter asked what he had bought and he said "just a watch". I knew I was dead in the water even attempting a deal when theyre walking out of the door like that. There are a couple of dealers around the Burlington arcade who were helpful but their tolerance wasn't great. Head a few miles out of London and the ADs definitely have more time for you. I want to feel they want my money as opposed to they're doing me a favour and a deal is something to be frowned upon. Having said that I do like the fact London stores dont panic and call security if youre wearing jeans!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, good point. Guess better to venture out of London next time I want to buy a watch then!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
London ADs are lazy. OTOH, I've been to places like Newcastle, Manchester and Aberdeen where ADs are happy to do a deal.

London ADs are in for a shock. I'll try my level best not to gloat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, maybe I should head to Kent, Coventry or Newcastle. To do some shopping :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have been shopping watches today in London but none of the ADs (Goldsmiths, Harrods, Watches of Switzerland etc) all don't want to give even a bit of discount. They can give you a glass of champagne but not even a 10-15% discount. Is this normal nowadays? I have been trying to buy a Tudor, Breitling and Tissot all cash but no dice. Am I having unreal expectations? Do I need to further out of town (living in Central London)?
For those brands discounts are available but more difficult in London. Best to try out of London. Even Westfield is better
Ernest Jones, Fraser Hart and Beeverbrooks are generally better for discounts

Tudor is the most difficult. The Ernest Jones in St Pauls is more flexible then I have heard in london, however Watford and Westfield (white city) are getting better

Also try the importers of genuine watches, e.g. iconic, swisswatchesdirect or some of the uk internet companies, e.g. www.jurawatches.co.uk, or the german internet companies, like https://www.chronext.co.uk/ or https://www.watchmaster.com/

rgds

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chronext was actually £100 more expensive for a Black Bay Bronze. In the past I bought my Meistersinger there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts