WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the significant motorsport connections that many famous watch brands (Rolex, Tag Heuer, Omega, Chopard, etc etc) have with motorsport, and the general popularity of chronographs, there seems to be a bit of an obvious gap that there's no motorsport/racing subforum. Perhaps this subject has been visited before, but I didn't find anything when I searched, so I figured I'd bring it up.

I guess the closest option is the Pil/Mil subforum, but I believe motorsport watches are sufficiently different from pilot watches to warrant their own space here. Thoughts?

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,122 Posts
We do think that Racing Watches are pretty well covered in our brand fora and Public. Can't see such a niche sub forum coming into existence.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
The racing themed design, unfortunately is not as vibrant as other sports... for example diving. Out of 15 watches release by a maker, most like only 1 or 2 will have racing design. TISSOT and SEIKO one such good example.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do think that Racing Watches are pretty well covered in our brand fora and Public. Can't see such a niche sub forum coming into existence.
Are motorsport themed watches really considered a smaller niche than pilot watches? Given the number of people globally who watch motorsports of some form or other (F1, rallying, NASCAR, endurance, GT, superbikes, motocross, etc etc etc) I would say that in terms of pure interest it has a much bigger base than aviation.

So I can't say I agree, but ok, if the moderators have already considered and dismissed the idea then I'll just leave it at that.

Would it perhaps make sense to combine it with the Pil/Mil forum then, to make it Pilot, Military and Racing (or Motorsport)? So at least those discussions are collected in one place instead of being spread out across the various brand fora?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I personally like those motor-sport theme design... however, in comparison, the design is really that niche than that of other military/pilot watch design.
Modern day racing cars and motorbikes are colorful on the body decorations, and with motorsport design, it's not easy to get perfect color combination and dial styling. What makes the design a little more challenging, it seems that most makers cannot get a design well base on 3 hander movements. Most of the racing theme designs that are catchy to potential buyers eyes, have to be chronographs, no matter quartz or mechanical.

Military/Pilot watches, as well as Divers, are... in comparison a little more easier...

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,122 Posts
There is no intention to combine PIL\MIL with Racing.......

However, we do support and report about our sponsor's activities regarding racing....

image.jpg

...in the regular fora and we will continue doing so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would much rather see a busy generic forum than a quiet niche one that gets only a few posts per week.
I'd say that's an assumption. We wouldn't know the response unless we try.

And besides, what's to lose? If it's "only a few posts per week" it's not going to affect participation in the generic forum anyway :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've flirted with getting a chronograph and I remember being surprised that there wasn't a chronograph forum to help get me up to speed.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just my opinion but, I think that Ernie went a bit overboard with all the sub-forums.

Many posters simply get lost in the sea of sub-forums and rather than posting in brand specific sub-forums, end up posting their queries in the General Forum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many posters simply get lost in the sea of sub-forums and rather than posting in brand specific sub-forums, end up posting their queries in the General Forum.
I am not sure a brand sub forum can replace a theme subforum.

I have no special affinity to any brand, but I do like some kinds of watches (racing, pilot, military, 24H, etc). Sometimes I'm looking for a specific kind of watch to add to my fledgling collection, but I'm seldom looking for a specific brand. In which case I would want to go to the related subforum and ask for help... or just browse around until I found something I liked. I can't really imagine looking through a brand specific forum unless I was looking for a specific model, or need more information on a watch I already own.

Of course, other people may approach the subject differently.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I think it's worth a try... anyway... the forum is getting a litle dis-organized... it's time to get some reorganization?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't disagree there are too many sub-forums. However, I do feel like a Chronograph/Racing Watch sub-forum would be really beneficial. I mean there's a Dive Watch forum and a Pilots' watch forum, why not a Chrono forum which is the last popular category for sport watches? There are plenty of options out there for chronos outside the big brands like rolex and omega. it's worth giving it a try to see how it goes

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I'd be up for a trial run - Motorsports, particularly the Mille Miglia is one of the things that led me to purchasing my Chopard chrono.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Another issue is, what qualifies as a racing watch? They're harder to define compared to other types of watches. A pilot's watch, a dive watch, a dress watch.... common image of each style comes into everyones' minds. But a racing watch?

Is it a TAG Heuer Monaco, an Omega Speedmaster, or a Tissot PRS 516?

Is a tachometer an absolute requirement? Are all three of the above; racing watches?

We can't even define what a racing watch is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts