WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does there seem to be no love for the Omega America's Cup on this forum? I've done searches and can't find that much about this model. :think: Are they not that popular? I've had one for 12 years and get compliments on it all the time. It was the second nice watch I purchased and, at the time, thought "hey, it's a limited edition. People will definitely want these in the future." Could I have been ignorant in that assumption? Possibly it seems.

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
I can't speak for the other WISs out there, but I never thought the America's Cup was any improvement over the standard SMP. I didn't like the white gold bezel compared to the standard black or blue bezel - which, I might add, has stood the test of time for 15 years. I especially didn't like the tacky, Invicta-style "Limited Edition" engraved in the side of the case on either side of the crown ("Can you say 'conspicuous consumption, boys and girls?").

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

(contributed photo)

The SMP was, and is, a thing of beauty. What Omega did was the horological equivalent of taking a Porsche 911 and adding fake mag-wheel hubcaps, fender skirts, a raccoon tail at the tip of the antenna, and static straps off the rear bumper - then selling it as a "custom" car.

It's not that the Seamaster America's Cup isn't a nice watch ... it most certainly is. It simply is not as nice a watch as the original SMP, which cost considerably less.

FWIW,
Rob

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Why does there seem to be no love for the Omega America's Cup on this forum?
Have you searched on the Omega Forum? I'm not sure why you expect that dive watch enthusiasts would be jazzed about a SMP with branding from a sailboat race. :-s In my personal opinion, nothing about the limited edition was an improvement over the classic SMP, but it's a nice enough piece.

·
Banned
1,696 Posts
Hi - I had the America's Cup marked version of this titanium SMP Chronograph and sold it. Then REALLY missed it so I got the none AC marked version seen here. Basically the same model just not marked AC. Cheers -Ronbo

·
Registered
735 Posts
I always liked that one, it's very nice.
I have to agree here. The placement of a race, or any kind of event on to a watch seems a little bit ridiculous to me. Unless you are personally involved in the race/event, or are a billionaire who gets watches for occasions (think a BMW Oracle SeaHawk here... :p) I am not sure I see the point in them. However, whatever floats your boat, you know?
As for the titanium version here- WOW! I have always loved the all Ti, black dial Seamasters- they are works of art!
Also the Omega forum might get some hi-fives.

Best

Aaron

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Omega ROCKS! I love Seamasters and Speedy's! ;) I have seen a few of the America's Cup that I liked but that was a long time ago. I believe they were the Seamaster NON-Chrono with Sword hands but have not seen one in ages! Do you have pics?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the Ltd Edition non-chrono version with the white-gold bezel. I liked it very much! It was the first diver I ever had with an embossed or raised bezel.
I have, and am referring to, the 2533.50 model, non-chrono, with white gold bezel.

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi - I had the America's Cup marked version of this titanium SMP Chronograph and sold it. Then REALLY missed it so I got the none AC marked version seen here. Basically the same model just not marked AC. Cheers -Ronbo
I love the bracelet on this style! Nice looking chrono

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Lots of sailors out there ;) I really like it ... I think Rob at Topper has a used one right now...personally, I would rather have the NZL-32 Omega - sweeeeeet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.