WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While all 3 offers 43mm case size and 200m water resistant features that not many flieger models offer in the market, but I only see a few discussions since their release, is there any particular reason that they are not popular? To be honest I am choosing between these Stowas and the Dekla Flieger, just appreciate any input.

·
Registered
59 Posts
~ dcheung:

Thank you for your post.

After reading it, a visit to the Fleger sections, classic and modern, on the STOWA Web site was helpful.

I asked myself how it was that I'd somehow overlooked the Flieger DIN Professional.

Whatever input others may provide, may it be useful in your choice.

Tom K.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
As a owner of a TO2, my only guess why not many people discuss them is due to a few things.

1. Size (43mm is kinda large)
2. They don’t really count as a authentic ‘Flieger’
3. There’s not many of them out there

My first point speaks for its self, not everyone can tolerate that size watch due to wrist size/personal taste.

To clarify my second point, I’m not saying these 43mm options aren't pilots watches, they are. But the features (water resistance/screwdown crown) and dial design (contemporary models) they offer aren’t as true to the original fleiger design as some consumers may be looking for. So I don’t think they get the love of other Stowa’s because they are bad, but because they aren’t as true to the original as some would like.

It would be fun to see more posts about these watches but in general I dont think their are very many out there. My TO2 isnt a new model (released years back) but it has the “No. 201” marking on the back appearing to indicate its the 201st TO2 they made. Which is not many considering how long they’ve been available.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like mine! Here are a couple of shots. Happy to take more if you want.

Fits great. For reference my wrist is 7.25. The bezel size makes it wear more like a 41 or 42. I have a 42 mm Archimede that wears much larger.

The only minor issue is with the 24mm non-taper strap, the buckle is a little bulky. I have a IWC style pilot strap on order that will be a 24-20 taper.

Get one!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Stowie, you are right about not many of these models out there and that's why so few conversations regarding them. Nowadays most flieger models are offered at 40 ~ 42mm range which is significantly smaller than the original copy of 55mm, I'm wearing a Glycine Airman Noon version which is 42mm and looks small and compact compare to my previous Casio Protrek at 55mm case, I love the Airman Noon and thought I can keep it for a long time as everyday/occasion watch when I bought mine in June, but apparently I have over estimated my eye sight capabilities that I can't really read the smallish numbers on the 24 hr dial at a quick glance (yes, I have to wear glasses), damn it! I have a 7 inch wrist so 43mm with the 51mm lug to lug should be fine.

@giantBOB, the watch really looks good! Is it keeping good time? Basic or top version of ETA? Stowa charges euro $110 more for upgrading to the top finish. The 24mm leather band looks wide to me...

Well, I fancy the Type B version and now making a decision between Stowa and Dekla brand, each has its appealing points so a tough call.

·
Registered
141 Posts
@Stowie, you are right about not many of these models out there and that's why so few conversations regarding them. Nowadays most flieger models are offered at 40 ~ 42mm range which is significantly smaller than the original copy of 55mm, I'm wearing a Glycine Airman Noon version which is 42mm and looks small and compact compare to my previous Casio Protrek at 55mm case, I love the Airman Noon and thought I can keep it for a long time as everyday/occasion watch when I bought mine in June, but apparently I have over estimated my eye sight capabilities that I can't really read the smallish numbers on the 24 hr dial at a quick glance (yes, I have to wear glasses), damn it! I have a 7 inch wrist so 43mm with the 51mm lug to lug should be fine.

@giantBOB, the watch really looks good! Is it keeping good time? Basic or top version of ETA? Stowa charges euro $110 more for upgrading to the top finish. The 24mm leather band looks wide to me...

Well, I fancy the Type B version and now making a decision between Stowa and Dekla brand, each has its appealing points so a tough call.
It keeps about 6 spd. Which is acceptable to me. As far as the 24mm lug width, it is very proportional to the watch. I do feel like 22mm is optimal but with the 43mm case size and the thickness I can see why they went with 24.
I’ll send photos when I put it on a taper.

·
Registered
31,320 Posts
It looks like a very sharp watch to me. Too bad more people are not attracted to it......

·
Registered
Tourby, Seiko, Monta, MKII, Helson, Sinn, Venturo
5,166 Posts
I liked my FKS. I thought it was a very nice, masculine watch that was chunky on my 6.5 inch wrist. The L2L size was perfect with the lugs overhanging my wrist correctly. I ultimately sold it because of the 24mm lugs which made sourcing alternative straps a pain when most of my straps are 20mm. The lume was outstanding and with top grade it ran well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Got an IWC style strap that really helps with the 24mm lug and the bulky buckle side. Tapers to 20 at the clasp. Much more comfortable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I really like the clean bezel on this watch. Makes it look more aggressive and clean. Thank you for posting photos.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have always been put off because of the size and also on photos the proportions appear a bit off, the height and width of the bezel seems a little odd.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I kind of like it but the case size seems excessively large, and as commentors above mentioned, the porportions seem a little off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is a departure from a more traditional flieger. Its by no means a small watch. I would call it a modern interpretation. It’s quite masculine and wears really nicely. The height/width proportions are perfect for the size which gives the watch a nice balanced look when on. It’s not for everyone but I sure do enjoy wearing it. I think the pictures distort it a bit.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i’ve long wished Stowa would offer a 42 mm size in some of their models. The 43mm sport models are okay as with it’s sloping bezel it does wear smaller than a lot of other 43mm watches.
I recently bought the Marine Sport model. My first thought in seeing it offered was that it was an odd pairing, putting a Roman dial on less formal case. I’d been wanting a Roman dial though and did not want a second Marine Original as I already had one with Arabic numerals. So I decided to give this one a try.
So far I am quite happy with it. I do wish Stowa would have gone with 22m lugs though. i may custom order a 24x20 strap if I like the watch well enough.
AAE69A03-7304-4A1A-BFA7-9C2698AD0F1F.jpeg
A846A35A-40DE-441D-9057-3C53F2A540C0.jpeg
EB0B4265-B84F-41FC-8B22-AE28E293DB57.jpeg

·
Registered
141 Posts
i’ve long wished Stowa would offer a 42 mm size in some of their models. The 43mm sport models are okay as with it’s sloping bezel it does wear smaller than a lot of other 43mm watches.
I recently bought the Marine Sport model. My first thought in seeing it offered was that it was an odd pairing, putting a Roman dial on less formal case. I’d been wanting a Roman dial though and did not want a second Marine Original as I already had one with Arabic numerals. So I decided to give this one a try.
So far I am quite happy with it. I do wish Stowa would have gone with 22m lugs though. i may custom order a 24x20 strap if I like the watch well enough.
View attachment 15543688 View attachment 15543692 View attachment 15543694 View attachment 15543688 View attachment 15543692 View attachment 15543694
Love the look of that strap!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts