WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 2018 will be the year where I add another piece to the collection...I spent an hour yesterday looking at Omega AT vs Rolex Explorer at a local AD. Honestly, in most respects I felt the Omega was the better quality piece.

However, some of the pieces I looked at did not have a quickset date. They had a quickset hour...this is NOT a good thing for me considering I rotate pieces through my daily life. The AT would be sharing time with my PO, Hamilton, Tissot and Seiko (yes I have a Seiko Arctura and yes I like it, no flames please, was the first decent watch I've ever owned and was a wedding gift from my wife). Not being able to quickset the date and instead rotate the hour hand 24 hours for each day I need to move the date forward puts a lot of wear on the movement and is a pain in the ass when I could just easily flip the date wheel.

Unfortunately the AD yesterday had very VERY limited AT's in stock, they had several 2015 models, a 2016 model and a 2017 day/date but the 2017 stock was extremely limited. What movement should I be looking for to get a quickset date?

Also, does someone have a link or can someone elaborate on some of the movement changes? I.e., 8500>8601>8602>8900, etc?

·
Registered
642 Posts
8500 - 3 Hands, Quick Hour Set, Date
8601 - 3 Hands, Quick Date/Month Set (2nd Position Crown Rotation Direction), Date, Annual Calendar, Month
8602 - 3 Hands, Quick Date/Day Set (2nd Position Crown Rotation Direction), Day, Date
8800 - 3 Hands, Quick Date Set, Date
8900 - 3 Hands, Quick Hour Set, Date

Movement Changes:
8500. 8601/8602 are based on the 8500. Double Barrel, Power Reserve 55-60, Silicon Balance Spring
8800. Single Barrel, 55 Hr Power Reserve, Anti-magnetic
8900. Double Barrel, 60 Hr Power Reserve, Anti-magnetic

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With quickset hour, just spin the hour hand and the date changes every 2nd pass of 12, easy peasy.

Rolex GMT, Seiko GMT and others work this way.
Yeah I get that, but lets say I put it on my wrist the 7th day of the month and last month I took it off on the 15th. I basically have to roll it forward 3 freaking weeks with the hour hand as opposed to being able to actuate just a date wheel.

Reactions: BarracksSi

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Love quick set hour. Much better. I recently broke my PO 2500 because I forgot about the date setting.

It was 8 years old and in need of service anyway.

·
Registered
36,296 Posts
Love quick set hour. Much better.
Agree it is a fine system which does not take much longer to change the date. No bigly.

As a frequent traveler between timezones, it is the Best system. Don't have to stop the movement to change the local hour.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I think the movement you are looking for in the current Aqua Terra line is the 8800, if you prefer the quick set date.

For what it's worth, I have an 8500, and have come to really appreciate the quick set hour. Changing the date is still really quick (try it when you're next browsing the watches) and you can do it forwards or backwards and at any time of day.

Being able to adjust to daylight saving or a different time zone without needing to set the time is a huge plus in my book. I'll actually seek this feature out in future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It really isn't a big deal. It's not like you're going to jump the hour 20 times every day. I much prefer the jumping hour to be honest and that's the only thing I miss about my AT and PO.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I love the jumping hour hand. It is perfect for me because I frequently travel across time zones. Wind forward going across the date line from North America to Japan, wind back and even the date goes back down on the way home. It is more useful on a quartz. I have an Aqua Terra quartz and a Tag Heuer Link quartz chronograph with the jumping hour hand.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Unless you rotate your watches in a way that you wear the Omega every 15 days (furthest possible date difference), it only takes a few seconds to quickly turn the hour hands until the date changes. The 8500s also have a 60 hour power reserve vs Rolex's 48....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless you rotate your watches in a way that you wear the Omega every 15 days (furthest possible date difference), it only takes a few seconds to quickly turn the hour hands until the date changes. The 8500s also have a 60 hour power reserve vs Rolex's 48....
I probably wear for a month on end or more perhaps if/when I get the AT. Need to figure out where to find an extra bracelet since the new stuff is only polished middle links instead of brushed.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I sold my automatic Aqua Terra with quick date set in favor of the quartz model to get the quick hour set feature.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The date set with the hour hand is brilliant imo. It's perfect for traveling. GMT style on a non GMT watch. It's on my AT and I like it. Takes a while to get used to, but it's not a deal breaker imo.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I too considered the Rolex Explorer I vs. the AT. In pictures, the Explorer looks almost "perfect." But, it is a watch that photographs better than it looks in person - I know, blasphemous! :) Whereas, the AT (which photographs quite well) actually looks better in person. I took my AT to the Rolex dealer when trying on the Explorer and side by side, the AT is a more beautiful watch (to me). Obviously, to each his own, but I walked away from the jewelry store glad that I did not purchase the Explorer. What solidified my happiness in my decision was that the Explorer alone was the same price as these two*** ... and there is NO CONTEST between one Explorer and this combo:

fullsizeoutput_19ce.jpeg

*** I had better explain: I purchased a new 8500 AT from an AD at 1/2 MSRP ($2,750) in June 2017 and I purchased my SMPc new from a grey market dealer for $2,650 in March 2016.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Digging this one up, as I was looking for some feedback on wear and tear on the movement from setting the date. My AT is one of three watches that I tend to wear for a week at a time. So, the date is off by roughly 2 weeks when it comes time wear the watch again. I can live with the time it takes to re-set the date, but in addition to the OP, I'd read elsewhere that there were reports of premature wear, or premature need for servicing, from overuse of the quick hour set. There's a natural tendency to spin it pretty quickly when trying to move the date forward or backward by a couple of weeks, and it feels a bit ham-fisted to me when I'm doing it. Is this truly something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
471 Posts
If your wearing your watch 2 weeks every month and always having to do this I can see where that can lead to excessive wear and tear but for most of us it an advantage not having to hack the seconds to set the time when traveling a few timezones etc. maybe invest in a winder?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts