WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening fine people of the forum,

I was passing an Omega AD near me last week and I saw two NTTD SMPs in the window - one on the NATO and one on the mesh bracelet.

I’d seen pictures and liked the look of the watch but never seen one in the flesh. Within moments I was sat at a table with a cup of tea and some watches in front of me.

Initial thoughts are that the watch head is superbly done. The build quality seems excellent to me, the details are impressive and though I usually hate modern watches that try to look vintage, this looked good and was done well. I even liked the complete lack of weight courtesy of all that lovely titanium.

However.... I like a NATO only the odd day here and there, so I’d never entertain a NATO-only watch and though I can appreciate the craft of the mesh bracelet, truth is, I hate how it looks and how it wears. To me, it breaks up the watch, so it doesn’t flow visually. To each their own, of course.

So it left me wishing it came on a basketweave bracelet, similar to the core SMP. I think I’d buy one on the spot in that configuration.

So all in all, great watch, really well done, impressive styling but a fail of a selection of bracelets for my specific tastes.

I do wonder - how many people feel similarly?

On a tangential note, does anyone here own one and have you put it on a rubber strap? Do you have any photos?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I handled the NATO. It's quite pretty. It's a very handsome diver. I passed though as I'm not into divers at all. But it's one of the best looking divers I've ever seen. The milanese bracelet I don't think works with the brown dial. It's too shiny and "new looking" in comparison to the brown "trying to have a patina" look.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was on the fence over it being titanium, but I am all in now. Not a big fan of NATO straps or the mesh strap, I would go with either a rubber or leather strap. Saving my pennies for one, but a part of me still wishes they would make one in steel with regular lume and bracelet!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
My only gripe with this new version is the minute hand. I love the new hour hand and if they had done the minute hand in a thinner straight sided version in the style of the previous version hour hand I believe they would have knocked it out of the park.
A true modern revision of the 2nd gen 300 swords, Are you listening Omega?
I don't have corel anymore or I'd do a mock-up that would blow your socks off. Maybe someone here can envision it and do it.

Reactions: thx67

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the idea of a titanium Seamaster, but the fauxtina is wretch-inducing.

Have I mentioned I don't like fauxtina?
Just to check, fauxtina - any strong views either way? ;-)

·
Registered
937 Posts
I think it's a beautiful take on the 2018 SMP Diver. I'd prefer a smaller markup over that model, and Grade 5 rather than Grade 2 Titanium. though my understanding is that the latter was a decision based on look rather than price.

They're clearly a popular model, given the waiting lists, and I'm not bothered by the lume colour -- suits the overall aesthetic for this piece, IMO.

Also, I can't stand the term "fauxtina." Easily the watch world's most tedious portmanteau and as long past its sell-by as the practice it critiques. Not all lume needs to be bone-white and sterile.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Not a bad looking watch, but it’s too big for my wrist, and I don’t quite think it’s worth the MSRP. More interested in the actual movie coming out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Funny, it seems to offer something to hate to everybody here... 😁 In my case, it's the pheon / belief arrow symbol at 9:00. It looks contrived on this watch and unbalances the dial.

Live the colour and the nato, though. Wish it came with a decent diving bezel.

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,693 Posts
I tried one on today and thought I was going to fall head over heels in love. Instead I came away impressed by the finish but underwhelmed by my own reaction. Maybe I needed to spend more time with the watch but I found it overly sedate and muted. Some might say it's understated but I needed a bit more pop out of it. It was too understated for me.

Also the majority of folks feel it looks better in person. I feel it looks better in pictures. But a beautifully executed watch that is super light. Here's the shot I snapped.

I'm definitely sticking with my 2006 2220.80

AD (Instagram @officine_scrivano)

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,693 Posts
I love the idea of a titanium Seamaster, but the fauxtina is wretch-inducing.

Have I mentioned I don't like fauxtina?
I don't have an issue with it and find that there are watches where it is done well. BB58, Trilogy Speedy, Hamilton Khaki. This watch is not one of them.

AD (Instagram @officine_scrivano)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I saw it in the AD yesterday but it didn't move me enough to even try it on, even though the SA offered.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funny, it seems to offer something to hate to everybody here... 😁 In my case, it's the pheon / belief arrow symbol at 9:00. It looks contrived on this watch and unbalances the dial.

I feel the same - the scalloped bezel is useless in the wet with gloves.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Funny, it seems to offer something to hate to everybody here... ? In my case, it's the pheon / belief arrow symbol at 9:00. It looks contrived on this watch and unbalances the dial.

I does, but there are things many people seem to love about it also.

It feels disjointed to me so there's lots to love, a few dealbreakers but it doesn't feel the finished/complete package as is.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny, it seems to offer something to hate to everybody here... ? In my case, it's the pheon / belief arrow symbol at 9:00. It looks contrived on this watch and unbalances the dial.

I does, but there are things many people seem to love about it also.

It feels disjointed to me so there's lots to love, a few dealbreakers but it doesn't feel the finished/complete package as is.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts