WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
181 - 200 of 242 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Unfortunately, don’t ever see it going that low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's like anything else. Once the market is saturated and you can get them for 20-30% off in the grey market the used price will come down. There are other factors affecting supply across all goods right now that are artificially inflating the prices in the used market e.g. used vehicle sales. Unfortunately people are applying the Rolex supply issues and secondary market value to other brands like Omega and it's not a fair comparison.

As for the NTTD Seamaster; when it was announced I thought I would sell all my watches just to get enough to buy it and it would be my single piece. After watching many reviews I'm not sold on the milanese bracelet (mostly the clasp) and I am not comfortable wearing NATO straps (I don't like where the buckle falls on my wrist, it just feels off). So if I were to buy one I'd have to source a Titanium Bond bracelet and that's like finding a Unicorn in your backyard so I've since moved on. I recently picked up a used Pelagos that is my 'tool diver' and ticks many of the same boxes for me (bezel lume, titanium, etc.) so I'm satisfied.......for now.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
So I was watching a TGV interview with actor Duncan Casey today and he has the NTTD on the bracelet. Duncan mentioned something interesting. He said first and foremost it was made as a prop for a movie. He said, in regards to the 'fake patina' on it, it makes sense that if Bond is spending time in the blazing for fives years, his Seamaster would look like that.

Thought it was interesting way of looking at it.
But by that logic, Bond would have developed a nice deep tan, looking like George Hamilton.

Main thing that bugs me about this watch; If it was meant to have military heritage, it would have been nice to see it with a bold set of sword-shaped hands, like the military-issued Submariners and Seamaster 300s of the '60s. Even if they had kept the shape of the current skeleton hand-set (maybe make them a tad narrower), but filled them with lume.
The case design, dial layout (and bezel shape) already signify the watch as a descendant of the Brosnan-era Seamaster 300m. A change of hands would have made for a nice point-of-difference, as well as an pleasant evolution of the Seamaster 300m.
Oh, and it would be easier to read at four am ten years from now. And maybe 2mm smaller diameter would have made it wearable for more people. Like me. Selfish, aren't I?
Either way, though, it's selling like hot-cakes.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
But by that logic, Bond would have developed a nice deep tan, looking like George Hamilton.

Main thing that bugs me about this watch; If it was meant to have military heritage, it would have been nice to see it with a bold set of sword-shaped hands, like the military-issued Submariners and Seamaster 300s of the '60s. Even if they had kept the shape of the current skeleton hand-set (maybe make them a tad narrower), but filled them with lume.
The case design, dial layout (and bezel shape) already signify the watch as a descendant of the Brosnan-era Seamaster 300m. A change of hands would have made for a nice point-of-difference, as well as an pleasant evolution of the Seamaster 300m.
Oh, and it would be easier to read at four am ten years from now. And maybe 2mm smaller diameter would have made it wearable for more people. Like me. Selfish, aren't I?
I don't know. I was stationed in Panama for five years and left as white as I was when I got there.

• Haha
Reactions: bob_sacamano

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I don't know. I was stationed in Panama for five years and left as white as I was when I got there.
Five years of solitary in a Panamanian jail doesn’t count. ;-)
Stationed in Panama does sound pretty cool!
The faux patina only bothers me because it’s a little too dark. It looks like wet sand. Actually, ridiculous as this sounds, a shade closer to dry sand perhaps wouldn’t have been such a bone of contention for a lot of Omega fans.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately, don’t ever see it going that low

It's like anything else. Once the market is saturated and you can get them for 20-30% off in the grey market the used price will come down. There are other factors affecting supply across all goods right now that are artificially inflating the prices in the used market e.g. used vehicle sales. Unfortunately people are applying the Rolex supply issues and secondary market value to other brands like Omega and it's not a fair comparison.
I also don't think it's going to go as low as anyone thinks it will. Yes with the current market, rona, supply issues, inflation and whatever else is true... but if you look, every youtuber talking about this model says you can get it on the grey market at a little less... and everywhere I look(chrono24, chronext, etc) it's only a few hundred less if that, and typically only the nato version. If it's the milanese it's at or above retail. On the actual omega site they've been consistently out of stock for awhile now. My AD said they're sold as they come in, and last time I went in she said it was usually a 4 week wait for that model. I know it doesn't mean **** for ****, but my gut says this model will not go down in price much if at all(with milanese at least). Since it's a "limited production" model, how saturated will the market really be once the people who want them have picked them up? The only way I see it coming down much is if it really is kept in production until the next film is announced and in production with a new watch to market, so that's got to be what... at least 2-3 years? Even then, I feel like the Bond/Craig connection is going to keep it high.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
We could probably debate this ad nauseum but I think the fact that it's a limited production and not limited edition means it's bound to drop as supply increases. It may not go as low as 30 or 40 percent below MSRP but it will go down.

If they produce a steel version it will definitely make the secondary market price drop in this model, IMO.

·
Registered
259 Posts

That's the one thing I dislike about it. In terms of comfort and wearability, it's easily my favorite watch...but the skeletonized hands are damn near impossible to read in low light. I even tried getting watchmakers to do a hands swap, but the Naiad caseback meant that the only watchmakers who could open it refused to do any customization.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We could probably debate this ad nauseum but I think the fact that it's a limited production and not limited edition means it's bound to drop as supply increases. It may not go as low as 30 or 40 percent below MSRP but it will go down.

If they produce a steel version it will definitely make the secondary market price drop in this model, IMO.
Totally agree with this. That's my one big thing on this. I'm a huge Bond fan, and I agree the price IMO is a stretch, but people will pay. In the back of my mind is what if they take some of these cues and integrate them into the standard SMP later? Yes, it won't be the NTTD, but if it's that same aesthetic at a few thousand less I would be ok with it. It's the main reason why I've been torn on if I want to pick up the standard black model and put it on an aftermarket milanese. I really do like the no date look and less frills of the no wave dial on the NTTD. There's just something about the flashiness of the ceramic dial and waves together that's too much. I really liked the previous model that was ceramic with no waves, that model with master chronometer and no date would be perfect.

·
Registered
901 Posts
But did you leave with a nice patina on your watch? ;)

I also don't think it's going to go as low as anyone thinks it will. Yes with the current market, rona, supply issues, inflation and whatever else is true... but if you look, every youtuber talking about this model says you can get it on the grey market at a little less... and everywhere I look(chrono24, chronext, etc) it's only a few hundred less if that, and typically only the nato version. If it's the milanese it's at or above retail. On the actual omega site they've been consistently out of stock for awhile now. My AD said they're sold as they come in, and last time I went in she said it was usually a 4 week wait for that model. I know it doesn't mean ** for **, but my gut says this model will not go down in price much if at all(with milanese at least). Since it's a "limited production" model, how saturated will the market really be once the people who want them have picked them up? The only way I see it coming down much is if it really is kept in production until the next film is announced and in production with a new watch to market, so that's got to be what... at least 2-3 years? Even then, I feel like the Bond/Craig connection is going to keep it high.
I’ve had a deposit down for just over 4 weeks now on the bracelet model and it still hasn’t come in. Checked in at the 3-week mark and was told only one had come in since I had put my deposit down, and that went to someone in front of me. Meanwhile, they’ve had the strap version in stock for at least a couple of weeks. I think it’s the bracelet that’s the main hold-up, which is what secondhand prices indicate as well.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I’m still disappointed it isn’t just the bracelet version bundled with the strap AND a spring bar tool.

That said, I’m one of ‘those’ that loves it. But, it took me seeing it in person to pull the trigger at the Omega Boutique. There are times when it’s a bit difficult to read. In fact, o find when it captures some light later in the day the lume is far better for visibility later than the watch on its own in - situationally.

No issues for me with the bracelet fit - thankfully. Agree that it’s overpriced for what it is but I’m really enjoying it and, at the end of the day, that’s all that matters for me. Intend to wear it more than my other Omega watches.

Everyone’s mileage varies, right? For those of you that have it - enjoy and wear in good health! If you’re considering it, definitely see it in person if you can.

Cheers all!

·
Registered
153 Posts
But did you leave with a nice patina on your watch? ;)

I’ve had a deposit down for just over 4 weeks now on the bracelet model and it still hasn’t come in. Checked in at the 3-week mark and was told only one had come in since I had put my deposit down, and that went to someone in front of me. Meanwhile, they’ve had the strap version in stock for at least a couple of weeks. I think it’s the bracelet that’s the main hold-up, which is what secondhand prices indicate as well.
Wonder if it's more a build thing on the bracelets? I had to dig from the hearsay to find actual posts and pictures on an omega forum I'm not on to see the failures people talk about. It looks scary as hell to see a failure like that, it would not be out of the realm of possibility to serious damage the watch with the bracelet critically failing at the welds like that. Maybe there's a lot more money in the titanium milanese design/production than we realize? Then when that prices the milanese that high, they only slightly walk it back for the nato pricing and that's how we end up at retail where it is.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wonder if it's more a build thing on the bracelets? I had to dig from the hearsay to find actual posts and pictures on an omega forum I'm not on to see the failures people talk about. It looks scary as hell to see a failure like that, it would not be out of the realm of possibility to serious damage the watch with the bracelet critically failing at the welds like that. Maybe there's a lot more money in the titanium milanese design/production than we realize? Then when that prices the milanese that high, they only slightly walk it back for the nato pricing and that's how we end up at retail where it is.
They updated the bracelet to fix that problem at least a year ago:

·
Registered
153 Posts
They updated the bracelet to fix that problem at least a year ago:

Yeah, just wondering if the actual design of that being in titanium really is an issue. I don't buy the whole titanium is harder to work with on the case so much, but can see it on the bracelet.

·
Vendor
11 Posts

181 - 200 of 242 Posts