WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
161 - 180 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
So I was watching a TGV interview with actor Duncan Casey today and he has the NTTD on the bracelet. Duncan mentioned something interesting. He said first and foremost it was made as a prop for a movie. He said, in regards to the 'fake patina' on it, it makes sense that if Bond is spending time in the blazing for fives years, his Seamaster would look like that.

Thought it was interesting way of looking at it.
An article I read in which they were discussing Craig’s involvement in the design said that it was supposed to look like a vintage military diver since he had served in the Royal Navy. That would also explain why it had the broad arrow on it, which some people thought was stupid since he is supposed to be a covert operative yet he’s advertising his government affiliation on his watch. It’s not stupid if it was his military-issued watch from his Royal Navy days.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
An article I read in which they were discussing Craig’s involvement in the design said that it was supposed to look like a vintage military diver since he had served in the Royal Navy. That would also explain why it had the broad arrow on it, which some people thought was stupid since he is supposed to be a covert operative yet he’s advertising his government affiliation on his watch. It’s not stupid if it was his military-issued watch from his Royal Navy days.
Another great reason why it is the way it is.

I think these ways of looking at it make the watch more interesting, because it makes some of the choices make sense.

Reactions: bob_sacamano

·
Registered
901 Posts
Another great reason why it is the way it is.

I think these ways of looking at it make the watch more interesting, because it makes some of the choices make sense.
In case you’re interested, I managed to remember which article I read that in:

Third paragraph talks about the inspiration for the design.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This all is how I've thought about it just like you guys are saying. I watched an interview with him talking about the wardrobe, his outfit at the end of the movie in the assault on the island he said was supposed to be like an old pair of jeans or old uniform. Stuff he'd keep as his own personal old uniform, comfortable and been around awhile. I think that's the kind of theme of this whole film, it's his old personal stuff. Outside any personal taste not liking the faux patina, I think this piece fits the film perfectly. Still trying to actually see one on the milanese in person and decide if I want to pull the trigger on one.

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
To reinforce the military heritage, Omega should have done what Tudor just did with the Pelagos FXD: Used fixed lug bars and made it only for nato-style straps. The mesh bracelet seems like an afterthought for those like me who don't like straps. But I've read many accounts of an awkward fit and a fairly quick flip with the mesh.

As you point out, Bond was a commander in the Royal Navy (and now has to be around 100 years old ;)). And had Omega gone that route two years ago, the new Pelagos FXD would have looked like "me too-ism" rather than a revival of an historic design for the French Navy.

Reactions: westcoastco

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
im definitely more of a Classic Bond guy myself. But I believe every franchise needs to try new things every once in a while. I think NTTD was a fresh take on a more human bond. Now the next film should go back to roots.

I think the biggest reason we are seeing division between fans here is because of the large gap between films. When you wait 6 years to see a bond film you’re expecting it to scratch every itch. I think the producers need to pull up their sleeves and start bringing the time between films down again.
I think the larger issue is the movie didn't make sense. It was like watching a group project where everyone had a different seen they were in charge of and then they combined all the individual parts. You can cut out everything after the first 5 minutes and skip to the final act and the story hardly misses a beat. They never explained the bad guys motivation and he was so quick to bail on his hostages! I could go on and on but for the sake of avoiding spoilers I'll end the conversation here.

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
So I was watching a TGV interview with actor Duncan Casey today and he has the NTTD on the bracelet. Duncan mentioned something interesting. He said first and foremost it was made as a prop for a movie. He said, in regards to the 'fake patina' on it, it makes sense that if Bond is spending time in the blazing for fives years, his Seamaster would look like that.

Thought it was interesting way of looking at it.
Nice thought, however he received the watch after he returned from retirement, not before.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Ok to answer your question, I've been on a fitness quest and my wrist went to almost zero meat on it. Initially I wore it on hole 3 but over time had to wear on hole2. With the mesh not following the curvature of my wrist it bulged even more on the inner side of my wrist near my thumb. The clasp also dug into the underside of my wrist. If I kept it on hole 3 the watch would sit diagonal across my wrist which really annoyed me. So, to have a watch that didn't wear well anymore became tiresome. I could've kept it on a NATO, but the mesh was the look I liked best so I sold it on.
I know this is a late reply, but while it’s crap the watch didn’t wear as you want, I’m genuinely pleased for you that it’s because you’ve upped your fitness. This is hands down the best reason to move on a watch.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Anyone else have this issue? Per chance, the perfect fit for me is the 4th hole from the case and on that specific hole, the clasp hinge touches the end of the mesh strap and jams it up. I would have to push the strap away to fully release the clasp. Ughhhh. Bad design!

Jewellery Font Wrist Personal protective equipment Strap

Shoe Hood Helmet Bicycle part Silver

Microphone Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Vendor
11 Posts
The thing about the NTTD watch is that it's an amazing watch if you really like something light. My business partner and I have to admit that it has accidently slid into our daily watch role because it's so light and comfortable. With that said if you have a narrow wrist the titanium bracelet can be a bit uncomfortable and you do have to be ok without a time complication but otherwise it's an awesome watch that's such a pleasure to wear!

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
Thanks Pete. Health is wealth as they say! No regrets selling the watch either.

I know this is a late reply, but while it’s crap the watch didn’t wear as you want, I’m genuinely pleased for you that it’s because you’ve upped your fitness. This is hands down the best reason to move on a watch.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The NTTD SMP has really grown on me but for the life of me I just don’t get the pricing of this watch. It’s not limited or numbered (if I recall). I wish Omega had just made this a production watch, like the previous SMP, PO, or AT8500 Bond wore.

I can understand a premium of sort for the Bond connection and titanium, but 50% more than the original SMP is hard on my head to comprehend. My AD asked me why I haven’t asked him for one yet because he knows I’m a big Bond fan, and it comes down to the price. I’ve bought more expensive watches, so it’s not “affordability”. It’s a “value” thing for me here entirely. Even he agreed the premium is steep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The NTTD SMP has really grown on me but for the life of me I just don’t get the pricing of this watch. It’s not limited or numbered (if I recall). I wish Omega had just made this a production watch, like the previous SMP, PO, or AT8500 Bond wore.

I can understand a premium of sort for the Bond connection and titanium, but 50% more than the original SMP is hard on my head to comprehend. My AD asked me why I haven’t asked him for one yet because he knows I’m a big Bond fan, and it comes down to the price. I’ve bought more expensive watches, so it’s not “affordability”. It’s a “value” thing for me here entirely. Even he agreed the premium is steep.

Well said; I completely agree.

I like the watch quite a lot but find the ask unreasonable.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Well said; I completely agree.

I like the watch quite a lot but find the ask unreasonable.
It’s a beautiful watch, I’d get it on NATO because I have smaller wrist so I’d run into the issue with the clasp other have reported.

If it was priced realistically, it would be such a stronger contender in the diver segment I think.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
Anyone else have this issue? Per chance, the perfect fit for me is the 4th hole from the case and on that specific hole, the clasp hinge touches the end of the mesh strap and jams it up. I would have to push the strap away to fully release the clasp. Ughhhh. Bad design!
Wow! Omega has gone from making watches that are "thick as a brick" to making watch bracelets/clasps that are also too thick. If this ensemble was made from steel, it would weigh a kilo!

Reactions: solesman
161 - 180 of 242 Posts