WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I've never handled a Nomos Tangente or a Junghans Max Bill in person. I've been contemplating a Max Bill for quite some time now, but several Nomos listings I've seen recently have really made me question whether or not that would be the right choice for a bauhaus inspired piece.

I was hoping to hear from some of you who have firsthand experience with one or both pieces. I know many watch enthusiasts talk about value… which watch is the better value?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
9 out of 10 people will tell you to get the Nomos. It has an in house movement, fit and finish is fantastic, and being made in the Glashutte region of Germany is a prestige.

I'm that 1 out of 10 that would tell you to get the Junghans. I'm partial to the brand, i like the connection to Max Bill and the Bauhaus school, plus being an ETA based movement it's a lot easier and cheaper to get serviced.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Junghans Max Bill Limited-3.jpg

Nomos on the rocks-2.jpg

I have both; they are great for their own reasons. Either way you get classic design.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
I like Nomos a lot but being small wristed they don’t fit me well. The Max Bill watches are great as well. Really you can’t go wrong with either. If Nomos made a watch that fit me, I’d probably pick them first but I’d be happy with either. It’s what fits you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 7.48.01 PM.png

I guess it kind of depends on what you mean by value. The Nomos is a much better watch: in-house movement, sapphire crystal, more interesting designs, overall better reputation. The Junghans is a great and beautiful watch that is probably 1/3 the cost of a Nomos. My vote is Nomos, but only if that is in your budget. If you go Junghans you'll be getting a great watch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nomos' designs are for the most part good and i like them, but the Max Bill is on another level as far as design goes.
When I wrote the "design" part of that, I inserted my own bias into the reply - I was thinking of the Metro and the Zurich World Time. But going back to the OP's question about the Tangente, I'll grant that the Max Bill is more interesting from a design standpoint than the Nomos.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I prefer Max Bill because I had it before. Nomos is nice too but a bit overpriced. Ok, a lot!

Max Bill is truly Bauhaus design while Nomos has a more modern approach. Both are nice nevertheless.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think a better comparison is max bill vs metro gangreserve. They have similar design language. I think both are cool, I wish they made a watch like the metro but with better hands w/ lume like the max bill. Overall I prefer the metro but the price is reflected in that ...

Reactions: daaaabear

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I like both, still Nomos is another league. If I need to choose one, it would be the Tangente, if you can afford both - get both. I myself have 2 Nomos watches and they are not bought by accident.
Nomos is nice too but a bit overpriced. Ok, a lot!
It is a kind of common opinion, that Nomos is among the "best value for the money" manufacture. You seems have some reasons to claim the opposite?

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I like both, still Nomos is another league. If I need to choose one, it would be the Tangente, if you can afford both - get both. I myself have 2 Nomos watches and they are not bought by accident.

It is a kind of common opinion, that Nomos is among the "best value for the money" manufacture. You seems have some reasons to claim the opposite?
Especially considering that Junghans is a customer caliber company. Nothing wrong with that, but not to be lumped in with a manufacture.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts