WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Dad turns 65 next week, a milestone occasion for any man, and a great reason for celebration. Unfortunately, like so many many of us have been similarly affected, the economy (and most directly, the real estate market) of the last few years has unfortunately thrown a wrench into his retirement plans. But even if we can't celebrate quite yet him 'cashing-in-his-chips', there's regardless something special about crossing that 65 year marker, certainly worth commemorating.

I love my Dad, and am very thankful to be able to say I have (what seems to be an increasingly rare these days) great relationship with him. He's been not only a great father, but almost without fail, the benchmark by which I judge and weigh so much. As both a congratulations, and even moreso, a Thank You, I wanted to do something extra special for him this year.

My Dad is a man whose always put his family first, and 'taken' for himself only after everyone else was cared for, if at all. Even today, his kids grown up, his responsibilities somewhat lessened, he still puts his own indulgences far on the back burner, deferring his efforts most often to enjoying seeing his family and friends benefiting from enrichments.

My Dad's always worn a watch, but I can say with absolute certainty, that he's never spent more than $200 on one. His genuine interest, detailed questions, and many compliments on the nicer pieces I've owned, as well as his general respect and appreciation for 'fine' things, be it food, wine, automobiles, etc... even though he seldom pampers himself with luxuries, he truly understands and appreciates many. Most notably, those with 'heritage'.

My wife and I decided to take this opportunity to afford him some long overdue luxury. One with timeless conservative class, and that heritage he so appreciates. And one he'd almost certainly never allow himself to indulge in.

To my luck, he inadvertently left his watch (his trusty citizen quartz) behind on my guest bathroom countertop a few weeks back, giving me the opportunity to take note of the design, size and features, and add all to the mental notes I've been taking of his compliments and questions toward mine over the years...

My friends, I'm literally giddy with this new gem in hand, I simply cannot wait to take him to dinner, wish him a happy 65th and present him with his first serious timepiece ;-) Nobody deserves it more, and nobody more than me wants to see him enjoy it!

Whatcha think!? b-)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think I'm willing to adopt you. My birthday is on Thursday.

Wish him well from all of us!!!
Cheers to your "old man" :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I wish you were my son.........Being father of 4 kids I hope one day one of my sons will be as loving as you are to your father.
A story like this makes me full of hope for the future, so enjoy your father, dinner and your future realtionship with eachother!

Eric

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow, what a touching story and a great gift! Please let us know what happened when you gave it to him.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Awesome feel good story. And a very kind and generous gift from you, and your wife.
May your Dad enjoy 65 more wearing your beautiful gift. Please take a pic with it on your Dad's wrist to post.
You are a great son that every dad deserves.
Giant thumbs up to you sir |>

~Dave

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the kind words :) ... but the truth is, the gift not only deserved, but like I said, long overdue. I'm glad to be able to provide and present, but even happier to see him enjoy. By way of comparison, the duties involved with being a good son are fare fewer than those of raising one. The compliments, like the gift, should go to him

It all sounds a bit sappy, but most of the good stuff in life often is ;)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Thats so great! I wish to do something similar for my dad in a few years!
A couple of years I got him a Swiss Army Victorinox Ambassador (auto), he loves it so much, does not take it off ever! Before that one, he had a quartz fossil (for over 10 years mind you, also my gift to him from 10 years ago)

·
Registered
739 Posts
What a heartwarming story! You, in fact, are your Dad's sucess story as one can easily see from your comments that he did an outstanding job raising you to his standards. You are both to be congratulated and I hope he wears his gift in good health.

·
Registered
657 Posts
He's been not only a great father, but almost without fail, the benchmark by which I judge and weigh so much.

My father passed too young at 60. He's been gone 11 years and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss something about him. It's funny, when you're young...you watch, listen and learn from them and then at a certain point (if your lucky) you become them. I can only hope that I become as good a man as my Dad was.

Thanks for doing something great for your Dad, not the watch, but striving to be as good a man as he is. That is the real gift!

·
Registered
121 Posts
A gentleman's watch.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I'm sure he'd love it even if it was a Timex. Just because it's from you.

I hope my kid is taking notes for when I turn 65...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I am sure he deserves this beautiful piece more than anyone in this world ..
Three cheers to a wonderful 'Dad n Son' relationship !

nishant

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.