WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything out there that is digital with solar and multi-band 6? I'd consider solar only if that was the only option. I've had a look on Casio UK but not much to see there. I wonder if there's anything Jdm that I'm not seeing.
I already have a GW-S5600u and a GMW-B5k but would like to try a hydromod on a cheaper watch as it can't be done on the GW 5610 line due to the rubber insulation inside the watch expanding with silicon oil. In order of features preference I'd say solar is first, as opening the back shouldn't be necessary once the mod is done. Maybe a 10 year battery is a viable alternative to solar?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am not sure if this watch is still in production, check Casio G6900-1, it is 6900 series watch with Solar powered movement and without Multi-Band 6. I purchased one years ago and paid around $70, still works well. Best of luck with your search!!!
Watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle Material property

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
10,584 Posts
Easy. Casio Protreks.
Non G, Casio and Solar. MB6.
For non Casio and current models. Q&Q.
Seiko used to have some. May be at some point Junghans.
Garmin Instict Solar is now on sale and it's solar and GPS (atomic) turn off notifications and BT and limit use of fitnes trackign and you get yourself nice solar, atomic non G watch with a lot of functions.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I am not sure about your requirements: you want it cheap YET don't want to do experiment on new casio watches?

also your thinking about hydro has some flaws
1. it depends on the silicon oil, all of mine don't have the rubber expanding (I have done more than 5 and lost track of which has oil inside)
2. you think the expanding would be strong enough to push off the back case or something? if so, you can remove the rubber after the hydro completely or use a piece of paper (with the same thickness) to replace it (btw, you know there are rubber gaskets at the buttons too right?)
3. what is the problem with having open the watch again? it seems like you never open a Gshock before, it is easier than changing oil for car. And from what I read in here most Casio has 10 years battery life. Lets say if it is 2 years, you can't over come your fear after 2 years? or it the oil spills out, you just pump more oil

the most fear of hydromod is leakage. PERIOD ! I am not sure if the material on a Casio's buttons are tight enough to hold the oil. So your experiment would be a waste of time anyway, if you pick an old or cheap Casio/Gshock

no risks - no rewards!
IF you play it safe, then, might as well don't do it in the first place

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
10,584 Posts
I am not sure about your requirements: you want it cheap YET don't want to do experiment on new casio watches?

1. it depends on the silicon oil, all of mine don't have the rubber expanding (I have done more than 5 and lost track of which has oil inside)
2. you think the expanding would be strong enough to push off the back case or something? if so, you can remove the rubber after the hydro completely or use a piece of paper (with the same thickness) to replace it (btw, you know there are rubber gaskets at the buttons too right?)
3. what is the problem with having open the watch again? it seems like you never open a Gshock before, it is easier than changing oil for car. And from what I read in here most Casio has 10 years battery life. Lets say if it is 2 years, you can't over come your fear after 2 years? or it the oil spills out, you just pump more oil

the most fear of hydromod is leakage. PERIOD ! I am not sure if the material on a Casio's buttons are tight enough to hold the oil. So your experiment would be a waste of time anyway, if you pick an old or cheap Casio/Gshock

no risks - no rewards!
Most Casio don't have 10 year battery life. That was initial goal in story about how G-Shock was made. And as story goes while been retold, some details get missing. There been only few models of G-Shocks with 10 year battery and last current one was G2900. There is whole bunch of Casio watches with 10 year battery and it saying it on the "crystal". Most G-Shocks have between 2 years to 5-6 years life depending on use. Analog digital with dual 395s if used daily won't last past 2 years. More like 1.5.If left sitting in the drawer it may be 2.5-3.5 years.

Casio made digital solar and MB6 almost exclusive on G-Shocks and top protreks. Considering pricing on protreks on ebay and such, 5600/6900/500 and 2300 are almost bargain basement solar/digital/MB6s. It really would make a lot of sense to experiment on these instead of non G model.

Great insights on hydromode!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

no risks - no rewards!
I've hydromodded a GW-M5610 before and it went well until the grey rubber expanded causing internal positive pressure. It didn't push the back off, or leak out of the button seals. It came out of the glass seal, which is logical because that's the weakest seal per unit of length.
I don't want another G. The ones I have are plenty and perfect for my needs. That's why I want a non G. I also assumed a non G, like a waveceptor or similar would also be cheaper though happy to be proven wrong.
I have no fear opening and tinkering with any watch and I've dismantled many a G Shock. The inference in my OP should indicate that someone who's familiar with hydromodding is not going to baulk at taking the back off a casio. What I'm short on is time. I respect the Japanese philosophy of set and forget; perfect for this project.
So, what models do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
GWM-850

it is the fav. g-shock of @CC and @Rocat
LOLz

Reactions: Rocket1991

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
View attachment 16808203
WS-210h: Solar, but not atomic. Excellent watch. Should be made into a G-Shock, and it sort of is. The Gulfman (model number escapes me) with a Titanium back basically is this model, except this one has an LED back light, whereas the G-Shock has EL lighting.
I think that's what I'm going to get. £37 on Amazon UK.
I like the fact it has tide and moon. Bonus features.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts