WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Im new to the forum, I've been suffering from watch addiction closer to a decade.

Sincere apologies if I posted this in the wrong place, Ive scoured the forum, website, hell, even the whole damn interenet for more information.

TLDR: What are some swiss mid/high end watches with non integrated crown gaskets?

Some background:
Ive had many, many watches throughout the years (omega, tissot, seiko, glycine, longines, enicar, roamer, tudor, casio, you name it) and majority of the watches suffer from the same design flaw (well, unless you are the manufacturer, in which case its a design perk), specifically the proprietary integrated crown gaskets.
I work and use my watches in environments which are wet and not very beneficial to the watch gaskets, mixed with the fact that I like to go swimming or diving in the sea often (snorkiling/freediving with a diving watch), it results in rather frequent pressure testing and gasket replacements.
I dont want to approach it from a consumer mentality (not that there is anything wrong with it) and when I buy the watch, I like to replace only the parts that need to be replaced. The understanding that spare parts wont last forever, specifically gaskets which are consumables.
Throughout the years I was downsizing the collection. I got to the point where I just want a single watch collection, something that can do it all.
I am relatively advanced in the watchmaking universe, I know how to assemble and dissasemble watches, done mods in the past, I know how to competently replace gaskets and pressure test them (I have equipment for that too).

Some good design examples of what I am talking about are: Seiko SKX line, 6106, Sumo and maybe few others.

They all have round gaskets (on the crown/stem) which can be replaced very easily and at will, they dont have to be designed the same way, however it would be nice if I could bulk buy 50 of them.

What do I need from the watch?
- between 38mm to 42mm
- swiss automatic
- at least 100m water resistance
- screwdown crown
- under £2000 retail, £2500 max.
- "user" replaceable gaskets

Watches with a profile like Glycine Combat Sub 42mm or Omega Seamaster Professional (2531 and similar cased) would be perfect. Thin, premium all rounders with a turning bezel that fit under the cuff of a shirt but also fit well with shorts and a tee. They don't count however as Omega has an integrated crown gaskets while glycines crown gasket is too proprietary and too hard to obtain.

I had a look at Longines Hydroconquest line, however I am not sure of the gasket type, the spec is never too clear while manufacturers gives you the "ummm, oh, yeah, I dont know", I dont mind watch complications, overall looks or anything.

I am open minded, please share your ideas and opinions!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn't directly relevant to your question, but for someone who has experience with crown gaskets and failure situations, what are your thoughts on Vero Watches' crown design?

They seem to be attempting to do away with traditional crown design and move towards a piston seal instead. I've always thought this to be quite fascinating.
Cool watches from what I see, not my style however.

In my opinion (worth zero to nothing):
They do mention a lot of suggestive mumbo jumbo, however they do not reinvent the wheel. It reality its still traditional design, with extra steps.

They still do the squishy squishy to the gasket between two surfaces and try to fight the water pressure from breaking the seal.
From a mechanical point of view: more parts therefore more potential chances of breakage.

Technically, if you are really trying, you can imagine skx007/6106 crown to work as a hydraulic piston too (or any piston in fact). You have the crown going up or down when unscrewing, gasket as the mating surface (like piston ring) interacting with the tube (cylinder), silicone grease as sealant (engine oil).
Not trying to attack their business, just saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify, "extra steps" was meant to signify the additional "piston design" terminology they added, not some additional parts.
I did not see any additional parts in the cross section diagram/drawing or in the parts they displayed when comparing it to other watches.
I went on a mechanical tangent later in the post.
No excuses, at 3am the brain doesnt function haha

I do have to mention, their design does look familiar, as if there was something friction fitted (a washer) to hold the gasket. Oh my, whats this? Dare I say that the crown is integrated?
1.jpg
when compared to 62MAS integrated crown
nos-62mas-crown.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts