WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inquired with a local watchmaker about serviceing and what he can and can't do. He's an AD for brands such as Cartier, Omega, Breitling and IWC. He said he can service virtually any watch by any brand but I would have to accept the possibility non-original generic replacement parts in case parts need to be replaced. Would that be acceptable to you? And is this standard practice for most watchmakers?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
I’d only accept that with a cheap watch, or a defunct watch where the parts weren’t available from the manufacturer. It also depends heavily on what the part being replaced is.

Normally a watchmaker will give you a final estimate after examining the movement. They should be able to tell you at the point what needs replacing, and whether they have original parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,723 Posts
Depends on the parts. If they're some generic gaskets I'd be ok with that. Generic crystal I would not.
+1
The brand and specific parts needing replacement will determine how picky the o.p. should be.
If it's a spring, jewel, seal or other homogeneous parts that's one thing. A crown, crystal, hands, specially finished screw, etc., will need closer attention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts