WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don’t like solar. I like atomic. Is there or has there ever been a non solar atomic gshock?

Is there a way to convert a solar gshock into a non solar watch with a 10 year CR2032 battery? I don’t want to have to worry about the charge.

I know Casio sell those cheap non gshock non solar atomic watches like the WV58 but they have bad reviews and look cheap so they dont interest me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What on earth is wrong with solar? In my experience there's really nothing to worry about, it's free energy that surrounds us and the watches take care of themselves. The batteries can last decades and are hardly more difficult to change than non-rechargeables.
They have to be recharged. I find it annoying. I prefer a cr2032 7-10 year battery. Personal preference.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Assuming none exists, you'll have to decide which you derive more pleasure from, MB6 or CR2032. I'm personally indifferent towards MB6, and solar for that matter, so I get along with my DW5600E really well.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Don’t like solar. I like atomic. Is there or has there ever been a non solar atomic gshock?

Is there a way to convert a solar gshock into a non solar watch with a 10 year CR2032 battery? I don’t want to have to worry about the charge.

I know Casio sell those cheap non gshock non solar atomic watches like the WV58 but they have bad reviews and look cheap so they dont interest me.
If you're comfortable with removing modules then it shouldn't be a difficult job.

I can't comment on EVERY solar G, but the ones I've had apart usually have a couple of small gold springs in the front of the module that contact the solar panel. I'm not sure if you'll need to strip the module to get them out, some springs like that are wider at their module end so they won't fall out. Once they are removed then no charging will occur and a standard battery can be used instead.

Also, I don't think you'll find many, (or any), solar G's that use anything bigger than a 2016 battery, I've never seen any that's for sure, so your hunt for a solar G that will take a 2032 could be a non starter.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Are there non-solar Casio Waveceptors? I dunno... and too lazy to research it.

I wonder if atomic is always paired up with solar because it's a bigger drain on the battery? Maybe a regular battery would get drawn down quickly with nightly atomic clock syncs? Just some thoughts.

I love the solar / atomic combo as it really makes the watch a set it (once) and forget it affair.

·
Registered
284 Posts
They have to be recharged. I find it annoying. I prefer a cr2032 7-10 year battery. Personal preference.
Well I can only assume that you already have experience with solar watches, which is perfectly fair enough but to be honest, unless you live most of your life in the dark it'll never really need charging.
They keep themselves topped up just from ambient light and rarely if ever drop down so low as to shutdown features.

Of course it's your choice but can you really guarantee an actual 10 year life from a standard battery?
And once it's dead, it's dead, whereas a solar watch will still run in bright light even with a flat battery.

Sorry, but I think solar watches are as amazing as MB6 / bluetooth - effectively powering themselves and automatically keeping absolutely precise timing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You don't "charge" solars. The people that have them in cases and set them up in a window or outside are just watch nerds who don't wear them. Normal wearing charges them just fine especially outside.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You don't "charge" solars. The people that have them in cases and set them up in a window or outside are just watch nerds who don't wear them. Normal wearing charges them just fine especially outside.
I'm one of those nerds! :geek:

If I had only 2 or 3 of them, I'd have no "worries" over keeping them charged by wearing them. But, I'm up to 14 solar watches (out of 19 Casios, and more to come, certainly). I wear them all in varying frequencies, but I do wear them. The reality is that with so many in the rotation, they're not getting much light.

So, I set up a "solar farm" that is on auto-pilot. I don't have to take them outside to an unsecured location. And, we don't have any big windows (with a place to put the watches) that would expose them to continuous direct light or even substantial indirect light. .

My only problem... I've got more solar watches than I have slots in this box. Time for solar farm #2!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm one of those nerds! :geek:

If I had only 2 or 3 of them, I'd have no "worries" over keeping them charged by wearing them. But, I'm up to 14 solar watches (and more to come, certainly). I wear them all in varying frequencies, but I do wear them. The reality is that with so many in the rotation, they're not getting much light.

So, I set up a "solar farm" that is on auto-pilot. I don't have to take them outside to an unsecured location. And, we don't have any big windows (with a place to put the watches) that would expose them to continuous direct light or even substantial indirect light. .

My only problem... I've got more solar watches than I have slots in this box. Time for solar farm #2!

View attachment 15504852
We appear to have similar tastes in watches...do you have a full collection shot?

·
Registered
948 Posts
We appear to have similar tastes in watches...do you have a full collection shot?
Here's the full Casio collection. Posted in order from first to most recent purchase... left to right, top to bottom. This all happened in about 3 months! 😁

I also have a Breitling Colt Ocean Automatic and a Rolex Yachtmaster.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Are there non-solar Casio Waveceptors? I dunno... and too lazy to research it.

I wonder if atomic is always paired up with solar because it's a bigger drain on the battery? Maybe a regular battery would get drawn down quickly with nightly atomic clock syncs? Just some thoughts.

I love the solar / atomic combo as it really makes the watch a set it (once) and forget it affair.
I know of one: the WV-200A. As I recall, the rated battery life is only 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Having only recently bought a G-Shock (GWM5610), this is my fist experience with solar or MB6. It's not a watch for my daily wear but I love the to-the-second accuracy if I leave it where it can pick up the signal at night. So far, the solar hasn't been an issue. It won't get worn often but I've been leaving it on my night stand so it's convenient to hack whatever watch I'm wearing that day to the second. I bought this as a field watch, not a daily wear. I prefer my higher end mechanicals for day to day.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
probably have better luck going with bluetooth over mb6, as long as you don't mind the app running on your phone.

I wonder if casio will ever make a PC version of the move app?

That way you could sync when you're home, if you use a PC, and won't have to worry about eating phone battery with app.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'm in the fewer number of apps on my phone the better camp. I did consider the Bluetooth option but I refer you back to my first sentence. ;)

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Bottom line. No, such watch does not exist in current production.
Waveceptors don't use CR2032 cell. Usually it's 1620 with rather pedestrian life span.
There are some vintage models (2 come to my mind but may be more existed) but they not practical in any sense apart from collecting.
Few lucky owners of Antman can pitch in but for any practical reason solar is as good as anything else unless you live underground and dwell in post nuclear world or you always indoors with sleeves down.
Been somewhere in high arctic goes to same category.

Final blow there is no battery powered MB5/6 Casio with 10 years battery life. None.
I think it will be really constructive to review your requirements and think of other possibilities.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Atomic is battery hungry feature, running daily will drain battery much faster than normal functions. Even if you can mod, I doubt a cr2032 can give you 10 years of atomic syncing.

If you really hate solar, just get a 10-year battery regular G, the accuracy of non syncing Casio is usually satisfactory for me. I turned off syncing function of my solar atomic 6900, after a couple of months, it’s still dead on.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts