WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
just want to share my experience/findings on three automatic watches that I owned. I understand that automatic watches have a certain degree of +/- in seconds in regards to accuracy. Having said that here are my experience and hopefully someone can shed some lights on some of the behaviors that I found on these watches :-d

First up is my Parnis:

IMG_1974.JPG IMG_1978.JPG

Have the watch for a week, wears it daily for about 8-10 hrs/day with light activities and the watch is loosing about 40-50 seconds a day o|. Reading other Parnis' owners out here, they seemed to have better luck with these watches in regards to accuracy. So, I decided to take the watch to a watchmaker to get it regulated. He tinker with it and uses a machine that sounded like a cash register :-s and spits out a paper with dotted pattern (I can only see him from behind the counter). Maybe someone here knows what its called :-!
Tried the watch for a week and it is now gaining about 40 secs/day :-x. Brought it back to him, get it regulated again, tried another week and I'm now loosing about 20 secs/day. I think I'm getting close here :think:
Brought it back again to him and told him that I would rather have the watch run a bit faster than going slow - rather go to my meetings/appointments earlier than late. After the third try, the watch is gaining about 20 secs/day. He's nice enough to only charge me once for $20 to regulate the watch the first time. I also tried to position the watch differently every night (first noob experience and for not being patient) and it does not seem to make any difference. One day, I've decided to put the watch in one position for consecutive days (crown down) and noticed that it's stop gaining...after 2 weeks of wearing the watch, it's stop gaining :-!. It's still fast but not getting faster as the first week I was wearing it. After two weeks of wearing the watch, it gains about 2 mins. One weekend, I didn't wear the watch for about 18 hrs (left it crown down) and it slowed down for about 2 mins and 20 secs :-s It basically corrected itself and loosing 20 secs. I notice when I start wearing the watch, it starts gaining again and eventually faster and back to the average of 20 secs/day.

It seems that the watch starts slowing down when it starts loosing "power" - is it true for automatic watch?

Next is my Seiko 5:

IMG_1975.JPG IMG_1977.JPG

I compared it with my Parnis and to my surprise it also gains as fast as the Parnis :-x I thought it may be better just because it's a Seiko and should have a better quality. So, I went on my 2nd experiment with my Seiko. Set the time - can't be too accurate since it does not hack and starts wearing it daily. One thing that I found different with the Seiko, is that when I put it crown down, after use, the accuracy stays, i.e. the variance is so small compare to my Parnis. This position seems to work on my Seiko.

Last but not least is my Orient:

IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1979.JPG

This to my surprise is the most accurate than the other two - regardless the position. It may somehow impact it but the variance is also small regardless what position I put the watch in.

All in all it's been a great experience owning an automatic. I never really involved in my watches before but it's kind of fun getting to know your watch closely |>

IMG_1972.JPG

So, share your thoughts and comments and thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My Omega runs +0.5 second per day no matter the position or power reserve. Also had a Mido that was pretty good at +2 s/d. Didn't notice position or power reserve effects since it was always on my wrist. So this shows that good precision and accuracy can be had over a wide price range. Also I had a more expensive watch that would run slower when the power reserve was half way down or so.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have had similar experiences with some Seikos and ETAs.
I did some Googling and bought some cheap tools from eBay. Then I regulated them myself over a week or so, this produced some very accurate results.
I normally wear my watches 24/7, so I regulated each watch to my lifestyle.
Maybe it's worth a try if you're a little handy.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
He tinker with it and uses a machine that sounded like a cash register :-s and spits out a paper with dotted pattern (I can only see him from behind the counter). Maybe someone here knows what its called :-!
A.. punch-card computing device?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Save some dough and regulate these things yourself. I picked up a new skx173 a few months ago and it lost 35 seconds a day. I cracked it open myself and got it to run more accurately than any other auto I owned. These are nice watches but they aren't museum pieces. If something goes wrong you're not going to break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Very good post! Don't know if I would still call you a Noob :)

Reactions: tissotguy

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Parnis, Seiko 5 and Orient Pilot. All of them are within the same price and quality range. No surprise they run similar. If you want better, get an ETA 2824.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Parnis, Seiko 5 and Orient Pilot. All of them are within the same price and quality range. No surprise they run similar. If you want better, get an ETA 2824.
Rather, no surprise the Orient is your champ! They've got a super reputation for accuracy (vis-a-vis price).
Also, give them some time, your Parnis is new, for example, after a few months on the wrist it may settle.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The automatic movements in Parnis watches are not very consistent time keepers in my experience. I had one of their Explorer copies (DG 2813 movement) and attempted to regulate it over a three month period, the best I could do was +15 sec per day on the wrist. But it would vary each time I let it run down then pick it to wear again, as much as 10 seconds +/-. I sold it do to it's inconsistent time keeping. I have a Croton Sub that has the same movement and runs just as inconsistently as the Parnis. The Seiko and Orient should be capable of far greater accuracy, either of them would be worth the time or money to regulate.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The automatic movements in Parnis watches are not very consistent time keepers in my experience. I had one of their Explorer copies (DG 2813 movement) and attempted to regulate it over a three month period, the best I could do was +15 sec per day on the wrist. But it would vary each time I let it run down then pick it to wear again, as much as 10 seconds +/-. I sold it do to it's inconsistent time keeping. I have a Croton Sub that has the same movement and runs just as inconsistently as the Parnis. The Seiko and Orient should be capable of far greater accuracy, either of them would be worth the time or money to regulate.

Thank you for sharing your Parnis experience, swissgmt.
I usually wear it during the weekdays and let it sit after work while I wear either my Seiko/Orient interchangeably. Some days, I let it sit even longer while using my other automatic. Just don't feel like getting a winder as I believe you bought a watch to wear. I hear you though, it is inconsistent and not sure what movement on my model is...

Best

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
. Also I had a more expensive watch that would run slower when the power reserve was half way down or so.
Thank you for sharing m0c021. So, it can slow down when the power reserve is low. I always thought that it just keep running and just stop when they're out of power.

Cheers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Save some dough and regulate these things yourself. I picked up a new skx173 a few months ago and it lost 35 seconds a day. I cracked it open myself and got it to run more accurately than any other auto I owned. These are nice watches but they aren't museum pieces. If something goes wrong you're not going to break the bank.

I have had similar experiences with some Seikos and ETAs.
I did some Googling and bought some cheap tools from eBay. Then I regulated them myself over a week or so, this produced some very accurate results.
I normally wear my watches 24/7, so I regulated each watch to my lifestyle.
Maybe it's worth a try if you're a little handy.
Thanks itsajobar and Rusty427 for the suggestions.

If any of you don't mind, would you kindly share what basic tools are needed to regulate the watches I posted? Maybe it is simple enough and I don't mind trying with my Parnis as the guinea pig.

Cheers

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice! All you need to do is swap out the Parnis for a Citizen and you'll have what I like to refer to as "The holy trinity of watchmaking" ;-);-)
Hi Domo,
can I now be considered as "the holy trinity of watchmaking" :-!

Cheers

IMG_1270.JPG IMG_1798.JPG

1 - 20 of 33 Posts