WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an NOS Seiko Kinetic, my first and only kinetic. If it's working properly, how long should it have to be 'moved' in order to gain a full charge?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
You can either put it in a watch winder for a day or sit and watch TV for an hour or so shaking it.

I have done the latter, and after an hour it showed a half-way-full charge. BUT half an hour later the charge was gone.

Turns out I had to change the battery cell. ($16 off Fleabay or Amazon)
Since then the watch works like a charm.

hope this helps
AlaskaJohnboy
Enjoying a nice -23ºF today

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
What model is it.....The kinetics usually have a pusher above the stem that can indicate what the state of charge is. Maybe post a pic?

I picked up an NOS Seiko Kinetic, my first and only kinetic. If it's working properly, how long should it have to be 'moved' in order to gain a full charge?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,953 Posts
Just try wearing it for a week. If it doesn't get to a full charge that way then it's not charging as designed. So replace the cell.
I understand inductive chargers can be used on Kinetic watches as well.

How old do you think the watch is? Those nos watch finds are fun. I discovered a Citizen ana-digi from 2000 at a local watch shop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A minute ago there were several replies and somehow they have disappeared. Strange. One of the replies mentioned that some kinetics have a pusher which indicates the power level. Mine does have a pusher but I have no idea how it functions. Here is a pic: IMG_watch seiko.JPG

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
2 similar threads were merged.

I can’t quite read the movement calibre but it seems to be 5M42 which only had about 7 days power reserve and would take about 1400 swings of the rotor to fully charge it. Try it, but that old capacitor is possibly dead or close to it. It was problematic anyway and there are replacement Li-ion cells that are easily installed which effectively upgrade it to 5M6X calibre which will provide 6 months power reserve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the all of the responses. It is the caliber 5M42 and I did locate the manual online. I shook it for a few minutes and got it moving. I used the pusher and it went 10 seconds which is supposed to indicate that there is 1-2 days of power reserve. It's been about 100 minutes since then and it's sill goin. I'm curious to see if it'll go at least 24 hours. If not I guess that would mean that the capacitor needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would love to get opinions on whether I should keep the bracelet or put a strap on this. Here's the pic again:

IMG_watch seiko.JPG

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2 similar threads were merged.

I can’t quite read the movement calibre but it seems to be 5M42 which only had about 7 days power reserve and would take about 1400 swings of the rotor to fully charge it. Try it, but that old capacitor is possibly dead or close to it. It was problematic anyway and there are replacement Li-ion cells that are easily installed which effectively upgrade it to 5M6X calibre which will provide 6 months power reserve.

So I shook it and got it moving. According to the pusher indicator, it should have gotten 1-2 days of power. However after aprox 6 hours it's already doing the 2 second jump, indicating that it's almost drained. Does this mean I need to change the capacitor? If so, how do I go about making the change to the Li-ion cell? I've never opened a watch before. Can I get this done by a watch repair shop? Will this drive up the cost by a lot?

·
Premium Member
68,001 Posts
Mosy, Kinetics are a PITA so if you sit and twirl it for about 6 minutes it ought to show 30 seconds, indicating a full charge.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Changing the cell was fairly straightforward. I opened the casebook with an old knife, and used a small screwdriver to unscrew the cover on the battery.
**BE CAREFUL** I lost a screw that went *Springy-Sproing* across the room when I was putting it back. (Stole a screw out of an old Seiko quartz I was tossing)

Once back together everything was hunky-dory.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts