WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

NOS watches on eBay

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  colt 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had any experience with NOS (New Old Stock) watches? I understand this to mean that it's a new, not used, watch that has basically been sitting around in storage for a number of years. I have seen the one pictured here popping up quite a bit - it's just ugly enough to be cool IMO. What are the risks with NOS watches?

See less See more
#2 ·
No thoughts from anyone????

#3 ·
I think the only issue might be that the movement would need to be cleaned and oiled after sitting for twenty years or more. I would not hesitate to buy one if you like the looks of the watch. Your purchase price for one of those, plus a cleaning if necessary, still should amount to $150 or less. Go for it!

#4 ·
As with anything vintage bought on eBay, buy the seller first. The bay is lousy with stories of people selling supposedly NOS stuff which really isn't. Also on person's definition of what qualifies as NOS is often not the same as someone else's.

Your best defense is to familiarize yourself with the item; learn what they are supposed to trade for; and make sure that if the item is not to your satisfaction, you can either return it or repair it.

#5 ·
Jaymay:

Tell me, do you really want that watch? Tell me why? The reason that I ask is that the watch is very old, excellent movement (Cal. 46941), and very desirable. I think it's only 50M WR, but I have seen it on many sites. Try to stay away from the Bay for a while. If you really want it, pm me, and I will try to help you find it.

Angelis

#6 ·
Angelis - thank you very much for the additional information on this watch and also for your eBay warning. I have no particular love for this watch. I just thought it was very unusual looking - very retro - and might be a nice addition to my budding collection if I could get it cheap. What I hear you saying is that if this particular watch is selling cheap, it may not be what it appears to be. Thank you again for your comments as you seem to be a very knowlegable and respected member of this forum.

#8 ·
Yes, as far as I am aware the original hands were very rectangular in design, with squared-off ends. The watch seems to be more common with the bronze dial rather than the blue, as well. Prices seem to be all over the place - it certainly doesn't seem to be particularly rare (although 100% original ones may well be). I like the ugly-cool look too! This link has information on how to use the dive limits bezel:

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WATCHSA...ly2002Nr1/OrientSKDiverColorBezelJuly2002.htm

Rog.

#9 ·
I have two of these babies (which will soon be merged into one...)

On the above link there are two sorts of hands: mercedes and straight (match?).
My ones both have straight ones.

Now I want to wear it... I'll slap it on when I get home :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.