WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered one of these Casio MDV102-1AV Casual Sports Mens Watch $54 to my door....still wating only been 2 days.

Anyway I just love the way this thing looks, Does anyone else have one??

If so what do you think?

Technical Specs
    • Super Illuminator Light
    • 200 meter water resistant
    • One-way rotating bezel
    • Mineral crystal
    • Date display
    • 3-hand analog
    • Accuracy +/- 20 seconds per month
    • Approx. battery life: 3 years on CR2016
    • Module 3305

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this. When you get yours, please post a picture of what the super illumination looks like.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The illuminator lights up the entire face of the watch, unlike any watch light I've seen. Usually you can't read the date on a lighted watch, but on this one you can. Imagine shining a bright flashlight against the wall in a dark room. That's kind of what it looks like.

·
Registered
810 Posts
:-! Yes, I do agree with you it is a good looking watch. Have tried a couple of times on the bay to win one in blue but it appeasrs that i come up short each time . Please post some pics and over all rewview once you get it. Regards Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the watch has arrived...I love it but I have some criticism also. I think that a review is in order, give me a few days with it and I will post my thoughts.

To answer SBS

The illuminator is GREAT very bright, brighter than any watch I have seen. If you had to use this watch in a jam....key in the door at night, or read something, look at a map ect. with out question you could do it with this watch.

The attached picture is in a pitch black room|>

Attachments

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
That little marlin on the dial is just iconic. I wonder what is Casio waiting to put it on a G-Shock EL display.

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here we go

First thing first right out of the box as I admired the highly polished stainless steal, jet black dial and pristine crystal I’m thinking what a fine watch. At this point I am proud of my purchase….but wait a minuet I see dust on the crystal, can’t have that so I ever so gently with my shirt wipe it off but one piece doesn’t want to come off. I know right away that it’s not dust and run my finger nail over it and can feel the nick. Let me say that the nick is so small that to have to turn it on the side to even see it and then it’s hard to see. Now had it been a full blown scratch the Casio would be going back for a exchange. The crystal is domed which I am not real crazy about, I wish it was flat and recessed below the bezel.

Next the band I hate it on my wrist very uncomfortable and small, I’m on the last notch 8 1/8in wrist. I like to where watches loose and all the way down, so it is a little tight for my likening. The band is plastic of some type and has groves cut out on the inside and just has a very cheap feel. I am on the hunt for a new band, more about this later.

The rotating bezel looks great but feels sloppy; well it’s a $50 watch so you can’t expect it to have very tight tolerances. It will serve the intended function just fine. When rotated there is no positive stop meaning it can be turned back in the opposite direction… a little but not so much that it clicks in the wrong direction.

The illuminator is GREAT very bright, brighter than any watch I have seen. If you had to use this watch in a jam....key in the door at night, or read something, look at a map ect. with out question you could do it with this watch.

The seconds hands lines up very well with the lines on the face and the outlined with red arrow head looks good

The Marlin, love it, there’s one on the face and on the back cover, it’s one of the reasons I bought this watch. I have a vintage Casio w32 with the marlin on it that my grand mother bought me in the 80s. I remember when she gave it to me, I thought it was so cool and kept staring at it all day. What a nice gift to give to a young boy, I miss her.

Ok now the band, I go to a local jewelry shop to look at bands. They are going out of business and 75% off all bands maybe find one on the cheap. I ask if they have any Nato straps…..”what’s that she asks” strike one, they been around forty years and never heard of a Nato Strap?? . She measures the watch 20mm ok, now the owner and this lady start to show me bands, black leather. I’m thinking in my mind black leather could work, “how about this18mm” to small I say “she says so you will just see some of the pin strike two. “How about this one” a 19mm black leather with a gold buckle, I say “its gold the watch is black and silver” she says “no body will see it” strike three. The owner now takes the lead and shows me a nice metal band 19mm with expandable ends…looks good he puts it on, I pay and leave. Going to stop at the barber shop 3 blocks down and see my friend Tom…. Get to the shop show off my new acquisition ten minuets later watch falls in my lap, back to the shop. Owner puts in bigger spring bars in and problem solved. I’m off to coin shop in the next town, windows down nice day arm out time window –Yank- I yank my arm back in the car when I realize this watch just fell of few minuets ago, I have lost faith in this band to hold the watch to may arm, however all goes well the rest of the day and my faith is being restored that it will hold.

Sunday morning church all is well the youngest is in nursery, my wife and oldest son and I are standing there singing and clapping to the Lord having a great time….watch falls off again!! Hits the floor!! I bend down and put it on the empty seat next to me and looked at the band NOT attached to the rest of the watch. Needless to say by this time I am mad, in a milla second I think of all the grief that lady gave me and how these spring bars have failed twice. I have to force my self to stop thinking about it and not let it become a mental distraction. But before I did that I was having thoughts of marching in that store and demanding my money back and telling them how pathetic there service was. But that would not be very Christian like of me now would it?

Monday parked in front of the shop I get out of car and start to walk in, the wife leans out the window and says, be nice about it. So I mentally role my eyes and walk in with a stern look on my face and say “this thing fell of….again”! The owner with a look of confusion takes the watch and band goes to the back and brings a box back with hundreds of bars in it. Curved, straight, long -short and ten minuets later he has nothing to fit “I will have to order those 2- 19mm and 2- 20mm we will find something to fit come back Friday”. He then apologizes again. I’m glad I did not go in there half cocked and ready to fire, in hind sight it would have solved nothing. All that would have done would be to ruin his day, get my blood pressure up and embarrass my self in the eyes of God. Self restraint is a beautiful thing. Now we just left the shop and are off to Walmart, got some food and picked up pictures from the photo lab. While there I stroll over to the watch department and see a very nice Speidel express strap. This strap is made for the Timex Expedition line, black Velcro extra long, bought it and put it on when we got home. I like it, very comfortable and came with 2 spring bars, fits great. All is well again with my new watch.

So there you have it my first watch review, I hope that you find it useful and that it can help someone make a educated decision on whether to buy the Casio or not.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts