WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently booked for appointment in store to get in to PP Aquanaut waiting list, I was welcomed very good by the AD, the store manager who I’ve spoken to about an hour for all things about watches was a great chap, really friendly.

But I wasn’t “eligible” to get into the waiting list because I never bought any Patek before…

He said without buying one of the of the shelf available models I could not in life get in to waitlist (wishlist as Patek calls it)

I didn’t mind waiting 8 years or maybe to pay a deposit at certain amount after I’m an enthusiast not a flipper and I really value my watches as to what they are and I wear the heck out of them.

But if I’m buying a classic watch I’m buying Lange even If I had a million dollars, I’d not get a classic Patek, they just don’t appeal to me.

Why do I have to buy something that you can’t sell so I have an access to a waitlist?

Might as well sell tickets for waiting lists at £20k a piece.

This really put me of from the brand… not that anyone cares. But to me this screams desperation for all other models except Nautilus and Aquanut…

Does anyone had this experience?

·
Registered
30,250 Posts
Pretty much the same with steel Rolex though eh........ tried buying one of those lately from an AD when you have no history with them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The issue is that they don't make enough of then, really. Many buy the "other" models, and look to add those SS pieces to the collection, so if the AD had to choose who gets it next, you can see why they would go to the repeat customer. The fact that Stern doesn't want to increase SS production only adds to this problem. Alternatively, the appeal of going grey now seems that much more enticing, assuming you don't want to play the $pending and waiting game.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WatchMeTry

·
Premium Member
13,805 Posts
Is this a Patek policy or a policy by your local AD?

·
Registered
30,250 Posts
I don’t think that’s a Rolex policy tho, I was able to get into Rolex waitlist. I got out and moved on from Rolex as a brand.
Rolex AD’s no longer have wait lists, they sell to preferred customers, pretty much what Patek and Ferrari do, to name but a few.

The bottom line is if you are really struck on getting a PP, then you will be able to, at-a cost.

Reactions: VNLK

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The issue is that they don't make enough of then, really. Many buy the "other" models, and look to add those SS pieces to the collection, so if the AD had to choose who gets it next, you can see why they would go to the repeat customer. The fact that Stern doesn't want to increase SS production only adds to this problem. Alternatively, the appeal of going grey now seems that much more enticing, assuming you don't want to play the $pending and waiting game.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I understand that but I really didn’t mind waiting 4-5 years or even ready to pay deposit to show I’m serious.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear about that. This will change in time. People will eventually get fed up with these practices and move on to those with supply, thats the beauty of economics. Try GP or VC?
It’s an awkward practice. Yes, I’ve got a Piaget Polo S and love it even more now. Lol

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I was going to suggest you move on to something like the Polo S (which I see you did - good choice) or look to the used market for one.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts