WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys, is it me or all the so called Kevlar® straps are actually not Kevlar® at all????:think::think:
I had a chance to handle a Kevlar® strap from the ones sold in here, and I was damn puzzled, was not Kevlar® at all. I did not have to go crazy and inspect it too much but it was just obvious that it was not Kevlar®. I did take my friends strap and try to get it analyzed at work, and let you know about the results, but it was very obvious to me and couple of other MillXXXX guys that it was not Kevlar® at all. I Touched, Smelled, and saw limitless amount of Kevlar® products for Military use, but the so called Kevlar® straps are just FAKE, FAKE, FAKE.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Re: Not Kevlar at all.....

Interesting.....keep us updated.....did you check out that one thread on the Strap forum? Link...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Ok guys, is it me or all the so called Kevlar straps are actually not Kevlar at all????:think::think:
I had a chance to handle a Kevlar strap from the ones sold in here, and I was damn puzzled, was not Kevlar at all. I did not have to go crazy and inspect it too much but it was just obvious that it was not Kevlar. I will take my friends strap and get it analyzed at work, and let you know about the results, but it was very obvious to me and couple of other MillXXXX guys that it was not Kevlar at all. I Touched, Smelled, and saw limitless amount of Kevlar products for Military use, but the so called Kevlar straps are just FAKE, FAKE, FAKE.

You are in fact 100% correct, most of the straps advertised as Kevlar have very little Kevlar content at all. Most are Nylon. I had read this earlier and I think I read somewhere that if you try a simple test heating up a sowing needle and see what happes as you press it against the strap, if it melts it's not Kevlar (most if not all will melt)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Interesting.....keep us updated.....did you check out that one thread on the Strap forum? Link...

Holly ****, thanks for the link, I can't believe what I am reading, I had no clue about this going on. I saw my friends Strap, and me and my other buddies told him right away that it wasn't Kevlar®. He was taken advantage of based on the $$$ that he spend, was just crazy. I will let you guys know what the results are, if not by tonight hopefully tm at some point.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

You have to read the ads all the way through. There are (most) that state Kevlar look, but once you look at the price that should be a dead give a way. Your not getting Kevlar for $20-50 bucks!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

You have to read the ads all the way through. There are (most) that state Kevlar look, but once you look at the price that should be a dead give a way. Your not getting Kevlar for $20-50 bucks!!

I just done reading that thread, even before reading it, I can tell you that to me it looks like these guys are running a scam or selling buckles, the actual strap made with those materials has no value at best maybe $1.00 per strap. I should have an answer from my lab guy at work sometime tonight or tm, and I will be able to put this o rest. As for the people claiming that they are selling Kevlar® to our members in here, they should be banned or they should change the word from Kevlar® to a look a like. I am pretty sure that they were aware of what they were doing while stealing form our members. Just my two Cent.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I'd bet some serious money that your lab guy will find little to no Kevlar content. It would be such a Pain in the A** to punch holes in a Kevlar strap, it would be stiff and uncomfortable etc..... Oh check this thread from over at straps:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1578072#poststop

Very true what you said Caesar, you can't just grab a hole puncher and start making holes on an actual Kevlar® strap, you just simply can't. Unfortunately not everyone had experience with Kevlar® so 99% of the people have no clue, but then again is that 1% that does and the truth will come out one way or the other. I hate to see our members being victims of of this. It's a just a shame.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Were the straps in question advertised as Kevlar Dive Straps, or Kevlar Style Straps?
Duncan advertised his straps as *KEVLAR* on the various watch forums, and when questioned whether or not they were really Kevlar stated they were without a doubt made of Kevlar (several times):

"They're a mix of kevlar and rubber. If you used pure kevlar you would be hard pressed to wear the strap, just too stiff and uncomfortable. To keep these both flexible, washable and waterproof they need the rubber infusion. They still take 2 or 3 days to break in and form around your wrist but once they do they are one of the most comfortable and yet toughest straps you'll have owned." - Outstretchedhands 12-05-08

Post is from the following source:

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=68489&highlight=kevlar+martin

A WUS sale states KEVLAR (not "kevlar look-a-like substance" priced like Kevlar):

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=222330&highlight=kevlar

Now he apparently needs to check ? ... LOL.

I'm looking foward to test results.

Billy

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Duncan advertised his straps as *KEVLAR* on the various watch forums, and when questioned whether or not they were really Kevlar stated they were without a doubt made of Kevlar (several times):

"They're a mix of kevlar and rubber. If you used pure kevlar you would be hard pressed to wear the strap, just too stiff and uncomfortable. To keep these both flexible, washable and waterproof they need the rubber infusion. They still take 2 or 3 days to break in and form around your wrist but once they do they are one of the most comfortable and yet toughest straps you'll have owned." - Outstretchedhands 12-05-08

Post is from the following source:

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=68489&highlight=kevlar+martin

A WUS sale states KEVLAR (not "kevlar look-a-like substance" priced like Kevlar):

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=222330&highlight=kevlar

Now he apparently needs to check ? ... LOL.

I'm looking foward to test results.

Billy

Well ok then it could very well be a Kevlar blend. Not 100% Kevlar but more like a Kevlar Composite. No problem with that as long as a percentage is Kevlar.

·
Registered
246 Posts

How about carbon fiber straps? Any of them actual carbon fiber?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

here is a real kevlar strap in the prototype stage very close to completion:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1578803#poststop

Thanks for the link Caesar, those straps are most likely real Kevlar® as far as the Kevlar® material the way it looks goes, that is how a real Kevlar® should look, I can't feel the texture of them but I am 98% sure that the straps on the above link are the real deal, so good luck trying to Punch a hole through them.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

if you read through the entire Post he has spent the best part of 1 year working out the difficulties of working witht he Kevlar and sourcing it, all in all very tansparent. I would be confident that if they do go into mass production they will in fact be real Kevlar.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

I doubt it, I have carbon fiber grips for several of my custom pistols with kevlar inlays by the way and they were hideously expensive, and also have a friend in Italy that works at a factory that makes carbon fiber panels for the automotive industry (he is also a watch nut) and have been told he is yet to come across a real carbon fiber watch band.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Thanks for the link Caesar, those straps are most likely real Kevlar as far as the Kevlar material the way it looks goes, that is how a real Kevlar should look, I can't feel the texture of them but I am 98% sure that the straps on the above link are the real deal, so good luck trying to Punch a hole through them.
That's why it uses Velcro and NOT a buckle/hole construction. There is no need for cutting or punching.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

That's why it uses Velcro and NOT a buckle/hole construction. There is no need for cutting or punching.

I understand that, I was trying to make a point on 100% Kevlar® is very hard to punch any holes, I read few comments of people going to their local Shoemaker shop to have the holes custom punched and they said it took few sec to do that :think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think: that tells me that they were punching the holes through rubber and not real Kevlar®.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.