·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: mikmis

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Insufficient resolution to say much but the case is not a 1944 vintage... 'h' is more likely a 1923 mark based on the cited table... and that fits the case and lug type much better.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Have acquired a sterling cased Cyma... Will post more in depth about it later, but the marks are confusing.

View attachment 6041562

a 'u' on the left and an 'h' in an oval on the right. The 'u' is for London and the little 'h' is the date... Yes? Is this 'h' then 1944 since 1924 is in a square?
Refering to this site... London Hallmarks 9 - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Not a U - London is an inverted omega for the import mark.

Double F inverted is the Glasgow import mark, which is what you have.

Glasgow.png

For Glasgow, h = 1930

Seems about right.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was worried about the resolution being an issue, but Trim is right. Thank you! It is the Glasglow city mark, not a 'u'.

sheesh...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better image of the hallmarks which confirms what trim said...

case_data2.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well seems no one has mentioned the SFC markings. That apparently is for Schwob Freres & Co.

In looking up more info on Schwob Freres*, seems David Boettcher has thoughtfully researched this, elucidating the relationship between the case maker, the watch company and reasons why a Swiss case maker is registered via the Glasgow Assay Office. Cyma: Schwob Freres and Tavannes

So, Cyma watch correctly paired with the Cyma (via Schwob Freres) case and then imported into the British market by way of Glasgow (Scotland!).

I love what digging a bit deeper into a watch will reveal.

*Seems they also made parts for artillery, explosive projectiles and hand grenades - LINK

Reactions: mikmis

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Well seems no one has mentioned the SFC markings. That apparently is for Schwob Freres & Co.

Probably because we can't see that mark with any clarity in any of your photos, and you never mentioned them! ;-)

Reactions: simpletreasures

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably because we can't see that mark with any clarity in any of your photos, and you never mentioned them! ;-)
point taken...

I do hate it when people post images that are not resized to fit within a reasonable screen resolution. I've gone too far the other way then.

Reactions: bobbee

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Here is a 1917 advert for a Tavannes/Cyma cushion case watch.

1917 cyma.jpg

Cheers, Bob.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! I've been doing some internet sleuthing trying to find patent or advertising info for the watch case and coming up short. That copy of the advert is much appreciated. Cheers!

Reactions: bobbee

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts